how to create a test instance replicating our actual Jira?

k_akhtar September 25, 2019

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would know the steps for creating a test environment in Jira that replicates your active database. this test instance would be a playground for prototype testing and should not affect the actual database in any way.

Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2019

a test environment in Jira that replicates your active database

Maybe we have another definition of replication. But if you would replicate your active database how do you expect changes on the QA environments to be persisted?

Anyway: as you are on Jira Cloud the only way to have a test environment is by having a 2nd Jira instance doing an export/import of a backup. See this KB article for more information about restores.

k_akhtar September 25, 2019

Hi, poor choice of words, I want to create a test instance separate from the actual database.

I have exported a backup and now I am creating a free development test instance which apparently is for the purpose of testing. 

after that, I will import the back up here.

does this seem to be the correct steps?

Thank you for your prompt response!

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2019

Yes that should be the way to do it.

Are you on Jira Cloud or Server? Because there are no free Jira Cloud development instances as far as I know.

Charlie Misonne
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2019

oh ok! I was not aware of that :)

0 votes
Filiberto Selvas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 1, 2019

Hello @k_akhtar I am a product manager in Atlassian.  Would you be willing to have a phone conversation about your requirements for test environments?   If you are please send me an email at: Fselvas at Atlassian dot Com to coordinate a time and day that is convenient for you.  Thank you in advance 

Suggest an answer