how to crate a custom workflow from scratch

mnpiad January 13, 2014

How do i create a custom workflow as we have our own designed workflow can someone point me to the documentation googling did not point me to the right link it shows configuring workflow or import workflow from market place.

We need to create our own workflow and own states transisitons

3 answers

1 vote
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2014

I can add that if you create a workflow from scratch then the defauly filter "My Open Issues" won't work as it looks at the Resolution field which is being modified by the JIRA workflows. So if you don't handle this based on the Open/Closed definition in your workflow this embedded filter won't work.

It is not difficult though you just need to learn how to do that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2014

Er, this is a little bit inaccurate, although I can see where you're going, and it is worth mentioning that you need to think about resolution when you're working on workflows.

The resolution field and the workflow do NOT have a direct relationship, it's a logical one added by admins.

Jira has a simple rule for whether an issue is open or closed, resolved or unresolved - if the Resolution field has any value set, then the issue is done with (internal filters and reports like "assigned to me" use a search clause like "and resolution is empty").

As you can see, I've not mentioned workflow in that rule because it's not relevant.

Where it does become relevant in workflow is that you need to decide when an issue needs to be shown as "resolved". In the default workflow, this is "when the issue is in the status of Resolved or Closed". If you look at the transitions IN to those status, you will find they use the "resolution screen", which effectively forces the user to set the resolution. If you look at the transitions that "reopens" the issues, then you'll find a "post function" that blanks resolution out. (Note that you do not have to use a screen to set a resolution, you can also use a workflow post-function, but only if you're always going to set the same resolution when that transition is used)

As Peter says, you should consider this when designing a workflow.

Like Marty likes this
1 vote
Mike Sorensen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2014

I have created several workflows that currently don't resemble much of what came with JIRA out of the box, however I wouldn't recommend purely creating a workflow from scratch.

There are subtle features here and there that make things work well that you'd miss if you made it completely from scratch, such as making a Closed issue read-only. You'd be missing that one if you made a Closed state from scratch. There are others especially if you use JIRA Agile like we do.

I recommend taking the out-of-the-box workflow that best matches what you want to do, then rename states, add new states, delete states till you get something that mostly works.

Then when you have the states right, fine tune the Transitions which are easier to play with on a live system.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2014

This is also very true - if you've not messed with workflows before, then it's VERY good advice to copy and modify.

Even after <mumble> years, I hesitate to create new clean flows because you really need to work through every transition adding conditions and updating events at the very least, let alone everything else you're likely to want to do.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2014

Click "add workflow" on the page that lists the existing workflows

First hit on google for me for "Jira workflow" is the one you need - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Workflow

Suggest an answer