how to configure what fields are on the open issues screen?

Robert Schutt January 6, 2017

I've been doing a lot of reading and playing with JIRA but am still a newbie. I have 3 screens defined (for Create, Edit, View) and are linked to the Create, Edit, View actions. I've added custom fields and have my screens the way I want, but when I go to the project and list open issues, the screen that displays the issue is not at all like any of the screens that I've defined. How do I customize what is displayed when looking at an open issue?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2017

The view screen rearranges your fields and mostly looks like it ignores your "view screen" settings.  It's not, it does read the screen, but it pulls out sets of fields and drops them into different panels - user/groups, dates, time-tracking and the system fields for example.  Once it's done all that pulling out, the remaining fields populate the last panel. 

There's no way to change that without hacking the code to change the view screen behaviour.

Robert Schutt January 6, 2017

I'm seeing fields I do not use or have on any of my screens and am not seeing any of the custom fields I've added.

Vladimir Yakimov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2017

Have you associated the custom fields with proper screens?

You can check that in custom field settings => screens and check all screens that you what your field/s to appear on

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 6, 2017

Ok, it always displays the system field, but custom fields are fair game.

Can you check over the settings you've got?

Start at the project admin level and look at what "issue type screen scheme" you have on the project. That tells you what "screen scheme" is in use for each issue type.

Select the "screen scheme" for the issue type you are looking at, and go into that. 

Check that the "view screen" is set to your view screen.

1 vote
Vladimir Yakimov _Botron_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2017

Hello, 

Make sure that the screens you've defined are used by the screen scheme used by your project.

There are lots of useful tutorials in youtube that would walk you step by step how scheme and screens are linked together. For example this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN3F5IbwUW0

I guess this would help you sort out what you are missing.

Regards,

Vladimir

Suggest an answer