how to complete a stage in portfolio

Asael Sepúlveda August 18, 2016

Let's say I have 2 stages: story writing and implementation. Is there a way of specifying that the story writing stage is complete?

On Classic Plans there was a synch option to create a task per stage; perhaps this could be done on Live Plans but creating a sub task per stage?

1 answer

0 votes
Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2016

I may be wrong but I don't think there's any way to mark a stage complete in Portfolio. The best you could do is set that portion of the workload to 0.

The problem with that is that the total story points would be reduced and would have to be updated manually in order for the story points to remain stable. The problem is even bigger when there are more stages. Sadly, this is a manual and tedious procedure.

Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2016

While I completely agree, I don't think there's a workaround at the moment. What effect are you trying to cause to the schedule?

The effect I'm looking for is to have a precise plan. Let's say you have the Implementation and the Testing stage on a plan configured on a stage per sprint. With the current functionality, everything would be delayed by a sprint.

I know that teams using full scrum would have no problem because there is no such thing as a testing stage, but for the organizations that still think in a mix of sprints and phases, portfolio seems a bit unnatural. Basically, they would need to create a new task specifically to test a story and remove the "testing" status from their workflows.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2016

The effect I'm looking for is to have a precise plan.

That is not helpful at all.

It doesn't sound like you want to be using stages at all. Why don't you just disable the Stage sprint constraint if you don't want it's effect on your schedule?

Suggest an answer