how to change JIRA installation directory path?

James Albright September 14, 2015

I recently upgraded JIRA 6.2.7 to 6.4.11. Everything works fine but the problem is that my installation directory is still "atlassian-jira-6.2.7-standalone" as it was originally unpacked. I'd like to now change this to a generic, non-version-specific name. When I simply change the directory name JIRA won't start - there is no log, but I can see that the startup parms (CATALINA_BASE, HOME, etc.) all have the new directory path I am using except JRE_HOME - which still has the old (and now non-existent) path.

Is this simply a matter of upatting JRE_HOME somewhere, or is there a better way to do this? For example, is it a good idea to create a fresh installation of 6.4.11 in the new installation directory, and simply point the jira-application.properties to my existing jira.home?

Thank you.

3 answers

0 votes
James Albright September 22, 2015

Thanks everyone for the answers!

Jobin you were right on - the path is hard-coded as the "JAVA_HOME" in the bin/permgen.sh - probably upon the initial installation. I changed this and everything works with the new path.

Thanks again.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 22, 2015

Glad it worked!

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2015

Check the "setenv.sh" in "$JIRA_INSTALLATION/bin" directory.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 14, 2015

It is a simple matter of updating the JRE_HOME. I am trying to remember which file it is but it is definitely under bin folder. Check out permgen.sh (if my memory serves right, but I wouldn't bet on it!) or one of the other script files in there.

Suggest an answer