how to cancel workflow action on an issue

samuel_ballé November 24, 2014

I just clicked on the wrong button using JIRA and workflow started on an issue where it should not have.

Is it possible to cancel a workflow operation on an issue ? Returning to previous state.

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 24, 2014

You will need to have another workflow transition that takes you back to the previous state. Maybe one that is available only to admins? Or to everyone if this is likely to happen to everyone!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2014

Yup, there's no "cancel" or "undo". To change the status back, go through the workflow back to the correct state.

It would surcharge heavilly the workflow to be able to change any state to any other. And graphically it's not nice. I am admin of the jira server, so I would prefer to be able to cancel a workflow change as admin from a global menu. I guess I can do it from database by hand but I would have prefered to avoid doing it that way.

I can see that when I do move issue, there is a step where you should be able to change the state of the issue. But I do not know why this option is bypassed in my server/project with no possibility to change it. Must be somewhere in configuration.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2014

NO. DO NOT TRY IT IN THE DATABASE. You will almost certainly break your Jira. The ONLY safe and sane way to do this is to open up your workflow and check if you have a transition back to the right status - if you do not, then add one. If you do, then check the conditions to check who can use it and makes sure you fit the rules.

Suggest an answer