how to associate Permission Schemes with user Group

CV May 12, 2013

JIRA 5.2

How do we associate Permission Schemes with a user Group?

When I click on my new user group I see this

Permission Schemes

• There are no Permission Schemes associated with this Group.

I don't know how to associate

Thanks

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2013

In your custom permission scheme, add your group to the different permissions (however, you need to make sure to add both groups to Browse Projects). They can belong to the same permissions or different ones. For example, if you want both to be able to create issues, add both groups to that permission in your custom permission scheme. If you want only the internal ones to be able to schedule (which means assign Fix Version), then only have that group assigned to that permission scheme.

We use this to allow our contractor group the ability to create and edit issues as well as comment, but they cannot delete their comments and they cannot close issues. Whereas our internal group can do those actions.

Linda Petty August 27, 2014

this is very unclear

Like # people like this
9 votes
Bharat Babbar November 14, 2013

The solution is:

1) administration --> Issues-->Permission Scheme

2) Click "Permissions" corresponding to the Scheme you want to add this permission.

3) Add the desired group to "Browse Projects" category.It will be reflected in groups scheme

Violette July 1, 2014

Thank you. Short, sweet and to the point.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2013

That only means that the group is not used within a Permission scheme.

once you gave permissions to that group within a permission scheme the group would be associated to that permission scheme.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2013

You do it via the permission schemes themselves. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

0 votes
Özer Sahin December 4, 2016

The whole Permission and Users Management is way to complicated. Many other applications solve it a lot easier... I hope Atlassian works on this.

0 votes
CV May 12, 2013

Hi Udo,

Exactly that's what I want ..but how do I do that? I mean groups/roles to permission scheme??

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2013

You need to edit your (or create a new) permission scheme (administration --> Issues-->Permission Scheme). Then add both groups to the corresponding permission. See the link Nic provided

0 votes
CV May 12, 2013

Thanks Nic

What I've done - administration > select project > Changed the permission scheme to my custom one and it still not showing up as associated with the group.

I struggling to understand this..because the same project needs to be accessed by two different users. and the 'external' user should only have limited permissions.

How do I associate two permission schemes to one project?

Hope its clear.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2013

You can't. There is only one permission scheme per project.

what you need is to add both user(groups/roles) to one permission scheme and associate that with your project.

0 votes
CV May 12, 2013

I have tried that and it still says the same message as above.

Let me explain what I am trying to do:

Basically I have 10 projects

I need two different type of users

internal user - will have acces tyo all projects

External user - will only have access to one particular project

What is the best way to acheive this??

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2013

You have not been clear on what you've actually done.

However, to meet your requirement

• Set up a group for "internal user"
  • Make sure you are not using "jira users" in any permission schemes (see the documentation I referred to earlier)
  • Create two permission schemes - one that says "browse = jira-users" and the other says "browse = internal users"
  • Use the first permission scheme for the "public" project, and the other one for all the other projects.

Note that it's better to use "roles" to do this - you can delegate maintenance of users and use a single permission scheme, but roles are harder to grasp than groups to begin with.

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2013

you would need two different permission schemes one for your 'external' project where the external user group has at least Browse Project permission and one for the other Projects where the external users have no permission at all.

Suggest an answer