how to assign to a group of users?

Yasmine Rifai January 15, 2014

Hello , I want to be able to assign a task ro a bug for example to a group of users divided depending on a project ( project X dev team, Consultants team) ... I need this beecause for example If QA doesnt know to whom assign the issue in the dev team, this way QA assignes to Dev team and dev team leader assigns to someone in the team.

How can I create these groups and am I able to assign an issue to a group?

2 answers

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2014

You can't assign an issue to a group but you can work around it in multiple ways. See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/How+do+I+assign+issues+to+multiple+users

I usually recommend the approach with group custom field and multi user picker field. Works well.

Charles Wells
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2014

I've normally seen it handled with the "Managing Issues via a User Account", however, this could impact licensing severely when hundreds of groups may be involved.

1 vote
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2014

Hi Yasmine

Issues can only be assigned to an individual and not to a group.

As a workaround what you can do is that create an email alias on outlook say Dev team and add all dev team members to the alias.

Then assign the issue to the email alias, this way everyone in dev team gets an email, and the person who should be working on it can go in and assign it to himself (or a dispatcher does it)

Suggest an answer