how to allow customer to create attachment when creating ticket?

Will Wilson May 4, 2016

I am using JIRA Service Desk.  I have it setup so a customer can create a new ticket.  I have added fields to the Create Issue screen, and they all show up as expected except for the Attachment field.  The customer can add an attachment after creating a ticket, but I would like to save the customer a step and allow him to add an attachment on the Create Issue screen.

I went to Permissions, and found the Create Attachments permission, and it is assigned to:

• Administrators
  • Service Desk Team
  • atlassian-addons-project-access (not sure what that means)
  • Reporter
  • Service desk customer - portal access

I thought this would be enough, but when a customer goes to create a new ticket, there is no option to add an attachment.  Is it possible to allow the customer to add attachments on the Create Issue screen?

6 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2016

The Request Types are the screens that appear when a customer visits the portal and clicks on a request type in order to submit and issue. Steven's example screenshot is a Request Type screen.

Request Types are mapped to underlying JIRA issue types and you can have multiple request types mapped to the same JIRA issue type e.g. multiple request types using the bug issue type. For each request type you select which fields provided by the issue type should appear when the customer selects the request type in the portal.

The Create Issue screen is the screen that would appear if you went into the JIRA application and clicked the Create button in menu. 

Try creating a new request type and map it to the same issue type you are currently using. Then configure that request type and see if the Attachment field appears there.

Also go into JIRA and use the Create button to create an issue of the same type and see if the Attachment appears on the Create Issue screen.

Let me know how you get on.

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 5, 2016

Glad to help.

If you get a chance could you mark this as the accepted answer?

0 votes
Will Wilson May 5, 2016

That worked!  Thank you so much, that was exactly what I needed to know.  I didn't even create a new request type - I just went to Project Settings > Request Types, found my existing request type and clicked "Edit fields", then added the Attachment field.  Now it shows up when the customer is creating a new ticket.  Thanks again!

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2016

This works fine for me. For instance, I added Attachment under my renamed description field and then viewed the Request Type through the portal. This looks like so – 

image2016-5-4 16:57:13.png

0 votes
Will Wilson May 4, 2016

I am not sure what a Request Type screen is.

What, specifically, does the Create Issue screen mean in JIRA?

I added other fields to my Create Issue screen, and they show up for the customer - why does the Attachment field not do the same?

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2016

You mentioned the Create Issue screen - do you mean the Request Type screen?

The Create Issue screen means something quite specific in JIRA and just adding the attachments field there will have no effect on the customer portal request type screens.

Suggest an answer