how to add multiple field configuration schemes to a project ?

Christian Richter September 23, 2016

I want to have 2 Issue types with different Field configurations in a Project. The first issue type works fine. When i add a second issue type (including issue type scheme, workflow, workflow scheme, screen, screen scheme, issue type screen scheme, field configuration, field configuration scheme) 

I can not add multiple field configuration schemes to a project. When i click on Actions->use-different-scheme, i can only choose the scheme for issue type 1 OR issue type 2, but i can't have 2 configuration schemes. 

How to add a second or more field configuration schemes to a project? 

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2016

You don't have more than one scheme for a project, it doesn't make sense.  A field configuration scheme says "for this issue type in this project, use that field configuration".  The field configurations are a layer down and say "here's how the fields work"

I assume what you're trying to do is add a new field configuration for an issue type.  (e.g. making affected version mandatory in the project, but only for bugs).  To do that, add a new field configuration to the field configuration scheme.

Shawn L January 30, 2020

Field Configuration Schemes -> Edit

Then choose the field configuration you want to use. A good start is to copy the one already in your project and then make the change you want.

2 votes
Daniel Davkovski April 24, 2020

hi @Christian Richter , following is the entire process (building stuff from scratch) that I applied and it works great. Whatever step is not needed feel free to skip it: 

1. Create new ISSUE TYPE:
a) Name --> this is the name that appears as issueType
b) Description --> optional
c) Standard Issue Type (unless you want it to be sub-task)

2. Create new SCREEN:
a) Name --> The name of the screen (for easy referencing use the same as IssueType you just created)
b) Description --> Provide more information about the screen that will help us easily adjust when/if needed
c) In the Field Tab add all the fields you want the issue to have (e.g. Summary, Description, Assignee etc...)

3. Create new SCREEN SCHEME:
a) Name --> The name of the screen scheme (for easy referencing use the same as IssueType you just created)
b) Description --> Provide more information about the screen scheme that will help us easily adjust when/if needed
c) Default Screen --> Select the previously configured SCREEN (from step 2)

4. Navigate to Issue Type Screen Scheme:
a) Locate the issue type screen scheme that is applied for the project which you are configuring
b) Under Action --> Configure
c) Associate an issue type with a screme scheme:
i) Issue Type --> Select the IssueType which you are configuring
ii) Screen Scheme --> Select the screen scheme you previously created for the screen and based on the issueType

5. Navigate to Issue Type Schemes:
a) Add Issue Type Scheme
i) Scheme Name --> Name it after the project for which you are creating
ii) Description --> Provide more information about the issue type scheme that will help us easily adjust when/if needed
iii) Default Issue Type --> leave at None
iv) Drag & Drop all the issue Types you want to have under this scheme (the ones created in step 1)
b) Locate the Issue Type Scheme you just created --> and Associate it with the project where you want it to apply

Note: This scenario is if you want completely customized issue Types, different fields based on the issueType, and all to apply within one same project. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 23, 2016

Field configurations can be tied to issue type so a field configuration scheme can be made up of as many field configurations as you have issue types.

Suggest an answer