how to add mandatory field

eran meiri May 28, 2015

hello,

I use wondering is it possible to add a field to the open issues screen so it will be mandatory so the issue will not be able to close without it.

I have added it to the edit item screen and it has a red asterisk near it but but the issue can still be closed without it

many thanks

5 answers

2 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2015

Hi Eran,

If you go in the field / screen configuration page of the project, does that field says "Required"?

Our documentation gives a good insight in how to configure these things: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Achini April 9, 2019

Hi @Benito Picarelli 

When we do like this, when creating an issue also, it gets mandatory to fill that particular field. Can we make it mandatory only in a particular stage or in the status of an issue?

0 votes
eran meiri June 2, 2015

hello,

is it possible?

currently the field is mandatory in the edit issue screen and default value is none. when I try to update the edit issue screen without filling the field I get a prompt that I need to fill it.

if I press cancel without saving I can close the issue from the open issues without filling that field in the edit issue.

is it possible to add it as a mandatory field in the open issues field?

0 votes
eran meiri May 31, 2015

maybe I am editting the wrong screen.

I have three screens for this project:

Default screen

Resolve issue screen

workflow screen

the field I created is associated with the 3 of them.

if I don;t enter the edit screen but stay on the open issues screen In can't see my field.

0 votes
eran meiri May 28, 2015

I am not following.

the field is in the edit issue screen with 5 options in it.

it has a red asterisk near it but still the issue can be closed.

I have attached the two relevant screens

main_open_issues.PNG

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2015

There's only one screenshot and it doesn't show the field. If you are able to close the issue, then either you HAVE set a value for the field, or you have made it optional. I am not sure I can put it any other way

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2015

If you've set it mandatory, then you have to place a value in it.  You can't get to "issue can be closed without it", the field has to be there to create the issue, edit won't let you commit without it, and you won't be able to complete any transitions without it either.

What you have described you have can't happen.  So you must have done something else.

Suggest an answer