how is the best way to create a knowledge base with JIRA?

Pchamoli April 26, 2015

I am working with JIRA recently to give IT support to the company, but now I want to go a step further by creating a knowledge base mainly to help new IT support team to know quickly about the different issues we have and how to solve them.

are there any best practices by using JIRA? o any other product? or some experience?

3 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2015

JIRA is an issue tracker, not really a documentation system.  The easy answer is to use Confluence for the knowledge base because that is ideal for writing KB articles and integrates well with JIRA (linking "how to" pages to issues as fixes for example).

On top of that, it's worth a look at JIRA Service desk, which actively allows you to create KB articles directly from requests raised by customers, and adds a search facility so that when a user starts asking for help, it suggests pages from your KB

Pchamoli April 28, 2015

Hi again, I see 2 processes: 1. Registering issues with JIRA Here in my company all of user support is registered using JIRA. Users create an issue and support team answer these issues and solve them. When support ends I want support team to write a new article or update an existing article from that Confluence knowledge base, but always using JIRA interface, not by entering a new IP address, is that possible with JIRA and Confluence integration? is there a video demonstrating that? 2. Searching issues in KB When other users have the same issue, they could search for that incident in updated KB. They will enter JIRA again and search if something happened before. They should not know that they used Confluence, only JIRA. How can JIRA and Confluence help my company to support the processes described above?

2 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2015

You can add a "flag" in your tickets like "Frequently Asked Question" or just put a "label" on tickets. You can display this tickets somewhere (like Confluence or any other web page that you like) which can be displayed on your page. Basically what Nic suggested above.

1 vote
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 28, 2015

Using JIRA Service Desk + Confluence would be a great option for you!

I recommend you to check this link to better understand how to provide self-help resources for your customers with a knowledge base.

-- Arthur Gonçalves

Pchamoli April 28, 2015

Hi again, I see 2 processes: 1. Registering issues with JIRA Here in my company all of user support is registered using JIRA. Users create an issue and support team answer these issues and solve them. When support ends I want support team to write a new article or update an existing article from that Confluence knowledge base, but always using JIRA interface, not by entering a new IP address, is that possible with JIRA and Confluence integration? is there a video demonstrating that? 2. Searching issues in KB When other users have the same issue, they could search for that incident in updated KB. They will enter JIRA again and search if something happened before. They should not know that they used Confluence, only JIRA. How can JIRA and Confluence help my company to support the processes described above?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2015

1. No, using Service Desk gives you the click-to-create-KB-article, but it opens in Confluence. 2. Yes, with Service Desk connected to Confluence, you get a box for users to start typing a question into and it suggests related KB articles or similar requests. But to read the articles, you have to go to Confluence

Pchamoli April 29, 2015

I see that I must have 3 tools, JIRA, JIRA Service Desk and Confluence (Confluence Answers looks good for me). My company is paying a license for JIRA already, does it have to pay another license for JIRA Service Desk and another for Confluence? if it is, is there any discount?

Suggest an answer