how does the reporter, assignee, creator columns get populated in "jiraissue" table in jiradb

SABARISH RAJ June 29, 2017

we are having issues, where creator and assignee are not displaying the right usernames when we make changes to the username in the frontend. For ex: I create a user with username "x" Change the username to "y" Assign issues to "y" user Jira displays the issue as assigned to "x" and not "y" I know the app_user is not getting updated with the latest username, but if I manually make changes to the app_user table, will it impact other tables? will it still maintain the right reporter name in issues after i update the app_user table?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 29, 2017

Absolutely not.  Do NOT update the database in any way, you will break it.  I don't recognise te app_user name for a table which makes it even worse, because it makes me think that you do not know anything about the way JIRA uses the database.

Your description of the problem is good, but I think I might not be understanding it properly.

Could you walk us through the exact symptom on one field? 

• Pick an issue to amend
  • What *exactly* does the Assignee field show?
  • If you click "assign to", do you get a good list of people to assign it to?
  • Select anyone other than the current assignee
  • Click assign
  • What *exactly* does the Assignee field show now?

SABARISH RAJ July 2, 2017
  • Pick an issue to amend -----   Picked an issue for project23
  • What *exactly* does the Assignee field show?  ------ Issue is assigned to John.
  • If you click "assign to", do you get a good list of people to assign it to? --- yes I do see a list of people assigned to that project
  • Select anyone other than the current assignee ---   selected "Nick" as the assignee and assigned it to him

Now, nick has two usernames(9931-old username and 9941-new username), the issue is assigned to 9931 and not to 9941?

i hope this is clear? the solution i am looking for is why isn't the issue assigned to 9941

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2017

It sounds like you assigned it to "Nick".  That's working fine as far as I can tell.

SABARISH RAJ July 2, 2017

yes, but could you please tell me, why it is not using "Nick's" latest username? i will post screenshots on Tuesday if that will help anyway

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2017

Because you selected the old one. 

Could you repeat the test selecting a user that does not have two entries?

SABARISH RAJ July 4, 2017

Hey Nic,

I created an issue and assigned it to a user who has 2 usernames in the backend db, one of them is inactive, but when you look at the jiraissue table it using the inactive username instead of the active username, i have attached screenshots, i hope this makes sense to you if not please let me know1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

SABARISH RAJ July 5, 2017

nic, can you please help me out on this?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 5, 2017

You are selecting the wrong one.  Try using the user's login name.

Edit - that was a bit short.  I should also have said:

You don't have duplicate users in your system here, you have two different users with the same name in different directories.  When JIRA is searching for what you are typing, it reads the directories in order until it finds the first matching user.  Your inactive user is coming first here.

Because of that, you might also try renaming the inactive one (stick "inactive" in his name, for example)

Suggest an answer