how do you know if a filter is being used for a board in JIRA?

Kristina Kemmer January 3, 2017

Because of this issue: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/boards-are-not-visible-after-the-filter-is-deleted-779158656.html is there an easy way to determine if a filter is being used for a JIRA board?

From what I can tell in the Manage Filters and the Shared Filters area, there is no way to tell this.

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

2 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2017

The only way I've found is to take the Filter ID and query the database directly.  I haven't really looked to see if there's a REST call that could do it and even if there was, I'm not sure you could get a single result (set) back rather than a large list of results.

Chris Solgat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2017

It will be something like 

select * from AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW rv
where rv.SAVED_FILTER_ID = yourFilterID

That will give you the names and owners of any Agile boards using the filter

Arjun Hazari May 14, 2018

@Chris Solgat Is there any other way to check which filters are being used by Boards instead of touching the Database? Or can we get this from URL or an filter ID pattern for Boards?

Chinmay Anand October 6, 2021

Hi @Chris Solgat ,
The suggestion you made will work only on on-premise Jira.
We are using a cloud instance. 
Is there a way for knowing on cloud instance, which boards are using a specific filter, so that before altering or deleting the filter I can check with the respective board owners who have used my filter.

Like Tony Sileo likes this
0 votes
Richard Cross August 9, 2018

I had to do this recently to find boards based on queries that used free text matches (which can be inefficient):

select sr.authorname, board.name, sr.reqcontent
from searchrequest sr
join AO_60DB71_RAPIDVIEW board on sr.id = board.saved_filter_id
where sr.reqcontent like '%text ~%'
order by sr.authorname;

Chinmay Anand October 6, 2021

@Richard Cross , Did you find a way for knowing on cloud instance, which boards are using a specific filter, so that before altering or deleting the filter I can check with the respective board owners who have used my filter.

Like # people like this