how do you assign a jira software user to assist with a jira service desk issue

Paul Barry August 26, 2016

We are implementing JIRA Software.  We also want to use Service Desk for our help desk team.  Our Help Desk often assigns tasks to developers and network support staff to address issues.  We have over a hundred devs and network services people.  It doesn't make sense buy a Service Desk license for all of them... but I can't figure out how to assign a Service Desk Issue to a JIRA Software user.   All the documentation says that non-Service Desk users can view and add comments to a Service Desk Issue, but I don't know how they see it if they can't access the Service Desk project.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2016

You can grant JIRA Users (that is, users with a Software or Core license) access to the project by giving them Browse Permissions. Once the users have Browse Permissions, they can view the basic issue details. They can't see the queues, they just can browse issues as typical, via Dashboards, Filters, @mentions, notifications etc.

You can add Add Comment permissions to them too, and they can provide internal comments on the JIRA Issue. However, Users who are not Agents in that specific project cannot be assigned issues. They cannot do anything customer facing. Service Desk reserves these rights to Agents only.

You can bring them on in this respect as collaborators. Since they are a Software Team, you can also consider adding a backlog project or adding issues directly to their backlog via the Create a linked issue Issue Operation. Combined with an Automation Rule, you can then add comments or transition the issue automatically.

Please ask for help if this is too much or I need to explain anything further.

Paul Barry August 27, 2016

Thanks Steve, that was exactly what I needed.   Appreciate the help.

Suggest an answer