how do i login (impersonate) as another user in Jira?

barbarat November 16, 2014

Trying to troubleshoot another user's possible permission issue (he is in all the same groups as myself and the rest of the team, but does not see the list of users to assign tickets to when entering part of the name). I'd like to login as the user to troubleshoot some more - this is for JIRA cloud.

3 answers

1 vote
Dave
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2014

It sounds like the user does not have the Browse Users global permission.  If you're an admin, type 'gg' to bring up the search box in JIRA and start typing Global Permissions - click on that result to check the groups assigned to the Browse Users global permission to ensure that user is a part of that - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Unable+to+Browse+for+Users+and+Groups

0 votes
Scott Buchanan December 21, 2015

For future reference, this is now a feature in Cloud for users below site-admin level.

0 votes
Rene Dohmen February 25, 2015

I have the same problem; it would be very handy to impersonate another user to investigate complex workflow with permission problems (i'm Admin).

Joel Chuah
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2015

There isnt one for JIRA cloud AFAIK but its achievable on JIRA server installations with a plugin called Groovy Runner. This feature is accessible under the Built-In Script, Switch to a Different User.

Like Mayflower likes this

Suggest an answer