how do I delete a project in Jira

Bill Pennock June 16, 2015

I just started trying to use Jira.  I added a project in Kanban and realized I couldn't make a parent child relationship between Epic's and Stories or Stories and Tasks, that makes sense now that I think about it so I want to delete this project (almost nothing in it) and recreate it as Scrum.  I don't know but I hope I can get that parent child relationship.  But I can't find how to delete it anywhere.  i added it i ought to be able to delete it. Or at least hide it or something.  Please if you tell me I have to be an administrator then let me know how I couldn't be since I started the account, own the company and the account and there are no other users yet?   And if I am not then how to I get to be one so I can do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2015

You need admin rights to delete a project, but if you do it, you destroy it completely.

However, the "project type" you want to change is actually not stored data, it is a template.  To convert a project from Scrum to Kanban or vice-cersa, all you need to do is change the "schemes" that configure the project to the ones that the other template would use.  Oh, and create any new boards you might want.

Bill Pennock June 17, 2015

So where do I change the template?  And as I mentioned in my first post, if I need admin rights I need to know how to get them.  I am, as of now, the only user in this since I'm just seeing if it's the right tool for my company and so I would have thought as the guy who set it up I'd already be an admin.

Like Christian_Rush likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2015

I think you've misunderstood me, sorry. You do not change the template. If you were to create the project "manually", you would have to make a whole string of decisions about what "schemes" to use in the project (notifications, permissions, field config, workflow, issue types and so-on). A template simply answers those for you. Once the project has been created, the template has nothing to do with it. To change to a different "template", you have to manually go into the project and adjust each scheme to match the other "template". You might only have to change one scheme, or all of them, it depends on what you want from the project. Most of us end up changing the project schemes after creation anyway, as we customise the project to meet the actual needs. For admin rights, yes, you are spot on. If you set it up and you are the only user, then you must be the admin too. As you can create projects, you must be! You should be able to delete the project, of course. Do you get any options under the admin cog?

Bill Pennock June 17, 2015

I got it now about the Schemes I think. I'll start working around with that. In the mean time it took me a few try's but your "under the admin cog" (what is cog?) lead me eventually to the three bar menu to the left of the JIRA logo and then under that to something called Configure which brought up the page Administration and then clicking projects got me the delete. Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2015

Sorry, too many mechanical engineers in the family - the cog is the circular bumpy icon near the top right that you click for admin functions. Based on those things you find in steam engines and watches etc. I should be more clear about that!

Diane Blazejovsky May 14, 2019

This helped! Thank  you!

3 votes
Mat Guthrie November 3, 2015

Thanks for the info. I couldn't find where to delete the project from either. I kept going to Projects > View All Projects (which seemed logical) but there was not delete / edit links there. It was only after seeing this post that I realised you have to go to JIRA Administration. 

Jeremy Thompson May 3, 2016

This, plus Brent's answer above from Oct 30, 2015 was very helpful.

Suggest an answer