how do I clone a project?

Monica Sanchez February 9, 2016

What is the best way to create project templates on JIRA Sofware? Something we can use to create all projects (clone/copy)?

6 answers

5 votes
Julien Peyrade @ Elements
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 21, 2023

Hello, 

As far as I can tell, there are two aspects in using a "template project": you may want to copy the project configuration, you may want to copy its content (Epics/Stories/Subtasks), or both.

The configuration part can be achieved natively within Jira, even though I believe you need to have Standard Jira instance, not Free.

For the second part, you will need an add-on. I would advice using our app, Elements Copy & Sync which can help you do exactly what you need and even go a little further : the app lets you keep your projects synchronized. This is useful when your "source of truth" needs to be updated. You will be able to simply update the stories in the template project, and the changes can be automatically applied to all the projects that were created from it.

To initialize the new projects themselves, I think the easiest way is to set up an Automation rule such as this one : 

screenshot-epc-demo.atlassian.net-2023.03.21-16_58_54.png

Basically what happens here is that every time a new project is created, the Epics (including all their issues and subtasks) from a template project TPL are automatically copied to the new project. This rule can be customized to your needs thanks to the variety offered by Automation and its full integration with Copy & Sync.

The app is free for 30 days, (and stays free if your instance is under 10 users), so feel free to give it a try, and don't hesitate to tell reach our Support if you have any question.

Kind regards,

Julien

4 votes
Tibor Hegyi _META-INF_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 9, 2016

An alternative to plugins is the feature in JIRA. When you create a project, the project type selector dialog has a link at the bottom: "Create with shared configuration". 

If you choose that, you can select a source project to base your new project on. You can this way set up template projects, or simply select on of your real projects.

Jux June 20, 2019

It creates a project with the setting configuration but not the tasks

Like # people like this
2 votes
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2020

Hi all ... Anyone found any route to do this? I will look at the Deep Clone add on but would like to try control this internal and possibly do this without an add on - either via the Interface or API? Anyone? Thanks in advance for new updates.

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
December 3, 2020

It might be interesting that we released an update for Deep Clone for Jira that enables you to clone entire Jira classic projects (plus components, versions, settings, issues, ...).

deep-clone-jira_project-clone2.png

Juan Calderon June 8, 2021

This should be free

Like Jen Jordan likes this
1 vote
Defny November 8, 2017

Hi All,

I have cloned a project in jira from another project. But when i change any field in my new project it gets changed in my old as well. How to I solve this? Thanks in advance. 

Jason Odra July 25, 2018

When you clone a project, the schemes get cloned as well. Unless you create a new scheme, any time you update a scheme it will affect both projects. 

These schemes are:

• permission scheme
  • notification scheme
  • issue security scheme
  • workflow scheme
  • issue type scheme
  • issue type screen scheme
  • field configuration scheme
Like # people like this
1 vote
Deniz Oğuz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2016
Eric Wilson October 17, 2019

Should be standard functionality.

Like # people like this
Nivaldo Georg Junior June 10, 2021

Yeah, I agree, it should be free and simple, like a button above the "Send to Trash" on the project, like "Clone Project">

I've entered all the free links, none of them are free for cloud and the ones tagged as free no longer function.

This is very sad, is there any kind of ticket raised for Atlassian for this matter?

0 votes
John McGehee September 4, 2018

Starting in the Projects screen, select Create project.

Click Advanced.  Select Share settings with an existing project and specify the Key of the project you want to clone.

Kermo Mägi October 10, 2018

Older version had an option to copy all tasks and connections too, Is this really gone now!?

Like # people like this
Fiza Petro January 22, 2019

Curious about this as well

Jux June 20, 2019

It doesn't copy the tasks and connections just the settings

Steve Jones February 5, 2021

It doesn't copy the board either.

Steve Ames May 12, 2021

Is the Advanced setting gone? I don't even see it now? When I create a project it sends me to the project templates screen which doesn't seem to allow this...

Suggest an answer