how do I chnage the values in a project Overview screen?

PeteS August 13, 2013

I need to chnage the resolution values in the project overview screen to reflect a variety of resolutions. How is this accomplished on Jira On-demand?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
PeteS August 29, 2013

Issue resolved. The backend DB was assigning a true value to unresolved where it should be null. Atlassian should make this an option in the resolution state = NULL

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2013

Glad it's solved, but that's not an Atlassian problem - your database should not have been setting a value. That's a problem with your database setup.

0 votes
PeteS August 13, 2013

But since the resolution field is required users need to pick a resolution when creating a ticket. Unresolved is not a choice unless I put one in. I have tried to make it an optional fied but that is not a possibility.

I did mistype I meant to say Fixed, Not fixed etc...

Thoughts Nic. You have been very helpful on this so far

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2013

Hmm. You can make it optional, that's not a problem.

The trick here is that if the resolution field is on a screen (create, transition or edit), then it will be filled in when the user commits their changes. What you do is make it optional (in field configurations) and then remove it from create and edit screens. It's intended to be used only on transitions from "some open status" to "some status like resolved, closed or done".

This is one of those non-obvious quirks in Jira - I seem to remember it was the first one I smacked into at high speed and struggled with <mumble> years ago.

0 votes
PeteS August 13, 2013

I understand tha the resolution is a global hard code thing that I can alter as needed. the issue is that in any of our project overview screens there are sections that state UNRESOLVED: by Priority, by Assignee, component and type.

According to this article (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+'Resolution'+Field+Values) unresolved is not supposed to be entered.

So how do I change the screen to be another resolution such as NEW or in Design etc?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2013

The list of resolutions is a global thing in all Jira systems (OnDemand or Download).

Go to Admin -> Resolutions and you'll find and be able to edit the list. Just remember it really is global, not per project.

PeteS August 13, 2013

I understand tha the resolution is a global hard code thing that I can alter as needed. the issue is that in any of our project overview screens there are sections that state UNRESOLVED: by Priority, by Assignee, component and type.

According to this article (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+'Resolution'+Field+Values) unresolved is not supposed to be entered.

So how do I change the screen to be another resolution such as NEW or in Design etc?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 13, 2013

That's the whole point - Jira is displaying "Unresolved" when there is NO resolution set. You haven't resolved the issues, so there is no resolution on them, so it's telling you that. (As an aside, adding "unresolved" as a resolution is an unmitigated disaster, because Jira's question is "do you have a resolution", so "unresolved" issues are "resolved", which is what you found in that article)

However, I'm now stuck on what you mean. You can add resolutions to the list. It has nothing to do with your screens. "New" and "In Design" are really awful things to have as resolutions though, because if you set them on an issue, then that issue is resolved (Done, ended, won't show in to-do lists, etc)

It sounds to me like you actually need a new workflow. "New" and "In Design" sound like status to me, absolutely not resolutions.

Suggest an answer