how can i import to custom fields?

Mike Fee August 26, 2011

Trying to import data from a CSV file to a project but none of the custom fields are populated. Import log states "Custom field not found" JIRA version is 4.3.4

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Fee September 12, 2011

see my comment from Aug 28

0 votes
Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2011

JIRA Importers Plugin which you seem to be using should import data from a CSV file to custom fields (not every type of a custom field is supported, but many are).

It looks like you found a bug or your configuration or CSV file is borked.

Could you post more info (ideally including import configuration file and an excerpt of a CSV file itself)? Alternatively (if your data is sentsitive) feel free to raise a support request at https://support.atlassian.com and attach there these files.

Mike Fee August 27, 2011

Thanks for your help. In the end I managed to solve the problem - after some trial and error I realised that the problem was that I needed to change the configuration of my custom fields so that they were for "any issue type" and "Global context" (i.e. any projects) before I imported the data. All the data went in without problems.

Once the data was imported I changed the configuration of my custom fields back to what it was - for a specific Issue type and specifc project.

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 29, 2011

Good to hear that. Yes, CSV importer supports only gobal custom fields. To work around this limitation we expect people to do exactly what you did - change them to global before the import and then modify their context at will after the import is finished.

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2011

Hi, Under JIRA 4.1.1, I was able to import the custom fields without having to make them global. I'm importing about 10-15 custom fields, this is a huge pain to make them global. I'm not sure how this is an improvement??

I am importing project by project. Of course it would really help if Step 6 was there, the one that says "Do not create custom fields".

Wojciech Seliga
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2011

wll in JIRA 4.2+ we totally changed how the importers work. You can achieve much more in a simpler way (simplicity was one of the primary goals), but we were not able to maintain 100% functionality of the old importer. Non-global custom fields in CSV import where one of this few missing things.

We do however seriously plan to add support for per-project custom fields in CSV importer, provided that data is imported only to a single project (otherwise the UI would get too complicated). Thanks for your comment at https://studio.atlassian.com/browse/JIM-606 - the more people provide their feedback, the greater chance we will fix it soon (really!). That's part of guaging how much useful and used given feature really is.

Suggest an answer