how can I select current user for the activity stream Widget

Michael Hayward February 24, 2015

I am using the widget Activity Stream and as part of the filter it allows you to select usernames, it doesn't appear to handle any form of currentUser(), or %%current_user%%. Is there a way to set it to show the current user?

4 answers

3 votes
Michael Hayward February 26, 2015

Hi Joao,

I understand what you are saying. The thing is I can create filters that show currentUser() and there are gadgets that report only for the current user. So I have created a generic dashboard for the engineers, so they can see what is assigned using all the current user gadgets and filters. The only thing missing is sometimes people make mistakes and create issues under the wrong project and to them the issue just disappears, because they are looking at the wrong dashboard.

It would be really helpful if the activity stream supported currentUser() just like filters so they could see a history of what they are doing instead of scrolling threw everyone's history to find their own. Since most of them won't scroll they just complain that the task is lost and you can guess who has to find it. wink

Regards,

Michael

1 vote
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 24, 2015

I seem to have found a feature request here: https://ecosystem.atlassian.net/browse/STRM-12

Miguel Costa March 12, 2020

they really are a company that cares absolutely zero for their users. not only there is not movement in the ticket, it's been stagnant for years and remains not solved.

such a basic feature and nothing gets done.

it honestly pains me that my company pays for this software

brandon July 28, 2020

Just got a paid interview request, why have you stopped using Atlassian Products... :)

0 votes
Ugubi.io September 25, 2015

Hello everyone,  you can check out our latest Jira plugin that gives the possibility to add filters to the Activity Stream using basic or jql queries.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.ugubi.streams.filtersactivitystream

0 votes
João Palharini
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 26, 2015

Hi Michael!

Actually, the default Activity Stream gadget (located on the System Dashboard) was designed to, specifically, show all activity happened on the projects the user is a member of. You could vote on the Feature Request pointed out by @Steven Behnke, so that you will help increase attention from our developers over it.

However, you can add your own Activity Stream gadget in another Dashboard. Just create a new Dashboard and, when adding the Activity Stream gadget, the screen below will be presented. Just click Add filter and set it to display only activities from a specific username/project/issue/(...) (or even not show activity from a specific match).

activitystream_edit.jpg 

Cheers!

Joao

Martin Gregory March 6, 2018

I think this answer completely misses the point of the question.

We want to be able to create a single dashboard where each user sees what is valuable to them.   Therefore activity stream needs to be able to filter by currentUser().

Otherwise each person has to create their own dashboard and manually type their own user name into it.

Like # people like this
Stein Somers June 28, 2018

I think this answer is quite useful anyway. Unfortunately, the workaround doesn't work in some circumstances, as detailed in https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/activity-stream-is-empty-when-filtered-by-username-306348823.html

Suggest an answer