how can I restrict the use of groovyrunner to some users/groups?

tommer September 9, 2014

how can I restrict the use of groovyrunner to some users/groups?

is there, or will there be a feature to grant permissions to (parts of) the groovyrunner add-on ?

2 answers

0 votes
Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2014

This would really be helpful in instances with big data and with high user count.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 10, 2014

It's restricted to the administrators group. Do you want to open it up to more people or to restrict it to fewer?

You might like to comment on GRV-2.

tommer September 10, 2014

hi Jamie, let me make myself clear(er) : in the JIRA searchbox of our environment, a simple user (only member of 'jira-users'-group) can run this: "issueFunction in hasLinks("is part of") and issuetype in (Story, Bug, Improvement)". I would like to restrict the running of these Scripted JQL Functions to the administrators group (or another group).

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2014

No, you can't do that. But why do you want to?

tommer September 14, 2014

I fear for performance issues, when all of our 3500 users run your cool but intensive Scripted JQL Functions. My company does not have budget for a load & stress test. Even though we have more than 50.000 issues. I want to convince them to install the Scrip Runner on our production environment...

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 15, 2014

Well, some are cool but intensive but most are just cool. Seriously, the most commonly-used ones are not intensive. But yeah I won't say they've never caused a problem, I have just fixed one performance issue (within a few days of it being reported). But, I don't think I will do this, because it requires a massive matrix (as seen in some other jql-functions plugins) of allowed groups, functions and even projects.

tommer September 15, 2014

Jamie, I don't want to bother you, but you could consider creating a permission-screen, which does NOT contain a matrix, but contains only one permission : "usage of the Scripted JQL Functions". You could link this single permission to users & groups. That would already make your fans happy. I am developing an add-on myself, which cosists of such a screen.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 16, 2014

I always aim to please my "fans", or at least appease them ;-) The thing is, I don't think many people would use it. What would happen when a filter is shared with someone outside that group... they just get a "no permission" error? I would much rather work out which if any functions are slow and fix them. Most of them can be further optimised in terms of cpu, memory or IO. I'm not sure I would worry that much though, these functions are happily in use on large instances, at least one with ~ 700k issues, and 12k users.

Suggest an answer