how can I filter out old subtasks in the Rapid Board?

Sam Newman February 17, 2014

If a story is not completed in a sprint, it gets moved back to the Backlog. When we add the story to a new sprint, any subtasks that were completed in the previous sprint appear on the Work view, in the column that holds Closed issues. While this is technically correct, I don't want to see tasks completed in previous spritns here. Is there a way I can filter these subtasks out?

I don't want to get rid of the history of subtasks we did, but they are not relevant to the current sprint and clutter the Work board.

Thanks

-SN

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2014

Hi Sam,

You can create a Quick Filter with the following JQL:

• NOT (issuetype in subTaskIssueTypes() AND status = Closed)

In Work mode, when you use this Quick Filter, all sub-tasks which have been closed will be hidden.

Cheers,

Andy

Peter McClelland April 20, 2021

Andy, 7 years later this is still helpful! Thanks so much. 

0 votes
Shibu Mathai October 23, 2019

Use the query provided, earlier along with the Current Sprint Start Date

NOT (issuetype in subTaskIssueTypes() AND status = Done AND updatedDate <= "2019/10/14")

here "2019/10/14", is the Sprint Start Date, this will enable you to filter out all sub-tasks that were closed prior to the start of the Sprint

0 votes
Sam Newman February 19, 2014

Yeah, I see two problems with this. It's up to the user to click the button, and it's not obvious when the button is not clicked since all closed subtasks look the same. Also, it filters out subtasks that we completed this sprint, which is relevent information. I only want to filter out subtasks closed in previous sprints.

The currnet default behavior is to show information that no one wants to see. Is there no way to change this?

-SN

Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2014

Hi Sam,

I understand the limitations. I tried to experiment with some other conditions using Sprint e.g. Sprint in openSprints(), Sprint not in closedSprints() but with no luck. In JIRA Agile, since sub-tasks are dependent on their parents, they inherit the Sprint statuses of their parents, which fall into both closedSprints() and openSprints() in this case.

For example, issue AA has two sub-tasks A1 and A2. A1 is completed in Sprint1 while both AA and A2 are left over to Sprint2. Now Sprint1 is completed and Sprint2 is active. We can see that:

• AA is reported in Sprint1 as Not Completed, hence it belongs to this closed sprint
  • AA appears in Sprint2 to be worked on, hence it also belongs to this open sprint
  • A1 and A2 inherit Sprint statuses of AA, hence they are regarded as belonging to both a closed and an open sprint
  • Conditions like Sprint in openSprints() or Sprint not in closedSprints() will have the same effect on both A1 and A2

So, we cannot filter sub-tasks based on Sprint statuses. My suggestion is to leave the sub-tasks in Resolved status (same column as Closed status) until the sprint is to be completed (you can bulk close them right before completing the sprint). By this way, you can still exclude sub-tasks closed in previous sprints.

In terms of default view, if I'm not mistaken, JIRA Agile will remember the last view of an Agile Board, which is user specific. You may ask your users to stick to this view so that they will be presented with expected information every time they get back to the board.

The above suggestions may not be desirable. However, they're all I can do to help you now.

Regards,

Andy

Ricardo Oseguera May 4, 2018

Hi Sam,

I am a little late to the party. Were you able to solve this issue? I just started using Jira and I am having this same issue. 

Is there a way to limit sub-task to a sprint in which the resolution was closed?

Sam Newman May 5, 2018

I did not.  Eventually the team simply got better about not having stories carry over from previous sprints and we don't use the Work view much anyways.  Instead I made a dashboard that keeps track of the stories and bugs, and burndown chart.  I leave the subtasks for the team members to use as they see fit. 

Suggest an answer