hosted Jira and local SVN server

Piotr Rezmer April 14, 2013

Hello,

Is it possible to integrate Jira running at ISP host with subversion running on my local LAN? Of course, there is no VPN link between host and my subversion server.

I suppose that standard Jira plugins connect to SVN server and read change log for specific URL. But maybe there is something like Jira SVN agent running close to SVN server, that would send commit information TO Jira system.

regards

Rez

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2013

standard Jira plugins?

Do you mean the Atlassian's JIRA Subversion plug-in? it does NOT require any agent installed anywhere. It usues SVNkit (a pure JAVA Subversion client) to access from JIRA to any Subversion Server over the supported protocols http[s], svn and file.

Piotr Rezmer April 14, 2013

Yes, I understand that Jira can use svn:// protocol to connect to subversion. But in my case it will not be possible because Jira would be hosted on public server that has no connection to my LAN, where subversion server is currently installed. This is why I'm looking for solution for reversed communication: from LAN where Subversion server is to Jira.

Of course, one of workarounds is to move repositories to one of available hosted public SVN servers. But I have also Build Server which monitors SVN repositories and gets whole trunk of a project in order to automatically build new version. If I would move SVN outside, it would cause big load on internet connection. Also it would slow down build process.

regards

Rez

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2013

Definetively, you have to write your custom solution in order to push the data from the SVN server toward JIRA and probably reuse the code parsing the commit messages to pupulate the same Lucene indexes.

and gets whole trunk of a project in order to automatically build new version

I undestrand the performance problem. But there is a neat solution for that: Simply, check out the trunk only once, and update the local workking copy before built the new version. The svn update command is pretty efficient and only the changes will be download from the server rather than the full trunk. It should improve a lot the performance.

Kinto Soft
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2013

Sorry, the right subversion command to use would be SWITCH (to the trunk revision to build) rather than UPDATE.

0 votes
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2013

I would suggest asking for SVN hosting with your host. Most JIRA hosting solutions should also be able to host SVN. Contact them to see if they can provide this private SVN hosting. Move your LAN SVN over.

This means your SVN is managed and should work with JIRA. Should there be any problems, they will be able to look at it.

Suggest an answer