hold vs. on hold

Tara Murphy February 24, 2015

I have a status/transition called On Hold, which we deliberately defined. However, there is a second status called HOLD, which does not appear in the Column configuration, does not appear in the workflow diagram, but DOES appear in the workflow text (although I cannot delete it, as it does not show there) and also displays as a status transitions of individual stories. It was automatically attached to every step in my workflow and I cannot delete it. This is not part of the workflow I am designing, and is very confusing to my team. 

Where did HOLD come from and how do I get rid of it?

Thanks!

HoldOnHoldTransitionsInStory.png 

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2015

You've got two transitions defined - one called "hold" and another called "on hold"

I notice you said "I have a status/transition called On Hold".  You need to be very clear here - status and transitions are two totally separate things, and we need to be 100% sure which one you are looking at.  Have another look at the workflow diagram or text - list out all the status - do you definitely have "Hold" and "On Hold" as separate status?  (you might not). Then go down the transition column and do the same - you will find you do have two transitions.  (Might want to start at status "QA Pass", as that definitely has both of them)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2015

Sorry, I wasn't too clear, I wasn't sure if you had transitions AND status, I just wanted to be clear on the difference because sometimes people get confused about them and don't write clearly enough when trying to answer my questions. The screenshots are great, especially the last one, which strongly suggests that you've got a corrupted workflow! You seem to have somehow ended up with two transitions numbered 381 (which is why I say broken - the transition IDs really really should be unique). I'd say we need to get rid of it, and your attempt to delete it is spot on! However, I also notice that it is a "global transition" - that's shown by the italics on the name of it. The next thing I would try is to open up the diagram view and see if you can find it - global transitions don't go "from" anywhere really, just "to" a status, and the diagram usually makes it easy to see that - hopefully, you can delete it from there!

Tara Murphy February 25, 2015

Nic, Thank you -- this is very helpful. When I look at the diagram, no matter how far I zoom out, there is no HOLD, just my On Hold. I'm actually thinking that I need to just start over, which isn't that hard... But I wanted to try to make sure it wasn't an obvious mistake I was making, so that I don't repeat it! (Does that make sense?) And hmmmm, global transition. First I've heard that term (yes, I wondered at the italics). Lemme go do some research and try to learn about this. Thank you!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 25, 2015

No, that does make sense - I was not as clear as I should have been. You don't have a "Hold" status, just "On Hold", which is fine. You also have a transition from "QA Pass" to "On Hold", called "On Hold". Then you seem to have a second transition called "Hold", also going to "On Hold" and that one looks a bit broken - I was hoping you can find the transition on the diagram.

0 votes
Tara Murphy February 24, 2015

I have both a transition and a status defined, with the same name: On Hold. 

Here's the transition, when I view the workflow:

Transition_OnHold.png

And here's the status when I configure the board:

Status_OnHold.png

When I actually go to edit the workflow, both Hold and On Hold are displayed. However, when I try to delete a transition...

ManagingTransitions.png

As this is a shared environment, I don't wish to experiment with actually changing the Hold transition (ID 381). But I did not add it and I cannot delete it. 

Any idea what's going on and how I can fix my workflow and board?

Thanks.

Suggest an answer