handling user requests with jira software or service desk

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 4, 2019

Hi there guys,

everytime a new colleague starts he has to fill out a lot of papers to get accounts for several systems we are using in our company.

Now i'm looking for a way to do this with tickets. I have a workflow in mind and also the fields and everything i need to configure.

Then there is the jira-service desk which brings all this functionality needed for service requests in jira. But there are the licences that are pretty expensive and no other use-case we could use it for.

Does anybody has best practices to do it without servicedesk? Does anybody already handle user requests with jira software?

Best Regards,

Alex

1 answer

1 vote
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2019

Hello Alexander,

Talking about prices, I believe you can use even JIRA Core application to request accounts for your systems.

The problem of using JIRA Core or Software application is: It would not be an open Customer Portal as JIRA Service Desk.

You would need to request it internally for every new user or add the users to your application so they can fill their requests. Talking about this second option, you would need a license for each user to allow them to access JIRA and perform their request which would not be a cheap solution depending on the number of users you have.

The main question is: Are you sure that JIRA Service Desk is not an option for you? 

I mean, the Agent licenses of JIRA Service Desk will only be applied for the users that will approve and provide the customers with the accounts. The users requesting the accounts would be considered customers and you can add as many as you want without any costs.

Additionally, you can add shared users to Service Desk application on a per-department basis, not needing to create a single user for every person that can provide the same account for a customer.

Please, let me know if the information above makes sense to you.

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2019

Hi Petterson,

thanks for your answer, totally makes sense to me! I also know the concept of Agents and Customers, the main problem is we would need up to 15 Agents because we have that many internal systems and every system has its own Administrator(s). Then only using it for handling user account requests would be a bit over engineered, as i think.

But you are right, whats missing with jira core would be a customer portal. I thought about using issue collectors and paste them to a prominent place where people then could post their request.

Cheers,

Alex

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2019

Hello Alexander,

The issue collectors are also a good option to achieve your need, although it is a little limited in the available fields.

Please, check if the issue collector gives all the functionalities you need and let us know if you need help with anything.

Girts Mazais August 1, 2019

We are learning/using Jira Software - there are a limited variety of fields, which can be assigned in collector form.

Is it possible to add to form instead of component for example Version?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
August 2, 2019

Hello @Girts Mazais

I understand that you are using an Issue collector from JIRA somewhere which you would like to add the Affected version field. Is it correct?

You can add this field by following the steps below:

1. Log in to Jira as a project administrator or a user with the Administer Jira global permission.
  2. Access the relevant project's list of issue collectors (above).
  3. In the Operation drop-down for the issue collector you would like to edit, select Edit to open the Edit Issue Collector page.
  4. Update the issue collector, adding the Affected Version field
  5. Click Update to save your changes.

For more information, you can check the documentation below:

Using the issue collector

Girts Mazais August 5, 2019

At point 4. I stopped.

I have available only 4 custom fields: Components, Description, Priority, Attach file. 

2019-08-05_1114.png

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
August 5, 2019

Hello @Girts Mazais 

Check the following settings:

1 - Doublecheck you currently have a Version created in your Software project. To create one, Navigate to your project > Releases > Click to create a new version

2 - Check if the affected version is currently added to the create issue screen from the issue type you are selecting in the issue collector. These are the steps:

- Navigate to your project > Project settings > Screens

- Select the screen of the issue type you are using in the issue collector > Add the affected Version field

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer