groovy saving values into database

Kyle McClung April 3, 2015

We have a groovy script that we use in the post functions of the create transition for setting values to hidden fields. The values show up on the screen, but are not being saved in the database. If you go into the edit screen, the values show as none.

We are using JIRA 6.4 and the updated Groovy script module

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.MutableIssue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.view.CustomFieldParams
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.transport.CollectionParams
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.option.Option
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.customfields.impl.CascadingSelectCFType
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.util.DefaultIssueChangeHolder
import com.atlassian.jira.util.ImportUtils
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.ModifiedValue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.layout.field.FieldLayoutItem
//import com.atlassian.jira.user.ApplicationUser
import com.atlassian.jira.event.type.*
//MutableIssue issue = ComponentAccessor.getIssueManager().getIssueObject('PRD-3876')
ComponentAccessor componentAccessor = new ComponentAccessor()
CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = componentAccessor.getCustomFieldManager()
IssueManager issueManager = componentAccessor.getIssueManager()
CustomField customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Type : Sub Type")
Object value = issue.getCustomFieldValue(customField)

HashMap<String, Option> hashMapEntries = (HashMap<String, Option>) value
if (hashMapEntries != null) 
	{
	parent = hashMapEntries.get(CascadingSelectCFType.PARENT_KEY)
	child = hashMapEntries.get(CascadingSelectCFType.CHILD_KEY)
	}
CustomField insParent = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Type-Type")
CustomField insChild = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("Subtype-Subtype")

DefaultIssueChangeHolder changeHolder = new DefaultIssueChangeHolder()
def modifiedValueP = new ModifiedValue(issue.getCustomFieldValue(insParent), parent)
def modifiedValueC = new ModifiedValue(issue.getCustomFieldValue(insChild),child)

insParent.updateValue(null, issue, modifiedValueP, changeHolder)

insChild.updateValue(null, issue, modifiedValueC, changeHolder)

2 answers

0 votes
Midori
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2015

You should try to save the modified issues using issueManager.

It is very likely that updateValue() will only set the value in the object, but will not persist that to the database. I'd reckon that issueManager provides a save(), update() or similar method to persist the changes. (I don't have the JIRA code here with me, so I can't give you the specifics, but it may give a hint where to start.)

I put this at the end of the script, but it still doesn't save the issue into the database. issueManager.updateIssue(null, issue, EventDispatchOption.ISSUE_UPDATED, true)

0 votes
Sten Sundelin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 3, 2015

Sorry for asking, but if the field is Hidden how do you see it on the screen? This may be related to another feature of JIRA where you can't modify a field via the API if it is Hidden - at least it was a feature a few versions ago.

I made it un-hidden so I could see the values. Normally it is hidden so we can use the two fields to query on. The custom field is a cascading field to organize issues. We split it out into two other fields to query on. We can see the information on the screen, but in the edit it says none and if you save it, it will set the values to the two fields to none. For some reason, we can't get it to save in the database.

Suggest an answer