forcing users to change priority on ticket creation

David Elman September 2, 2014

I am using Jira on demand.

Yes, I see the jira ticket of

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-13048

what I am wondering is what I can do about it.

when going into validators of ticket creation I don't see an option to at least validate that priority has been changed.

I tried: "Field has been modified Validator" but leaving priority as the default doesn't trigger the validation to throw an error (guessing that b/c the ticket had "no" priority before its creation...)

sadly "Regular Expression Check" doesn't even give me the priority field to do any checks on.

anything better to do than to set the default priority to "change me" and set up a subscription filter to email me if any tickets have that status?

Thanks, david. (and yes, i did vote for the issue.)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
David Elman September 8, 2014

looks like there is no good workaround for On Demand, and there is that ticket opened on JIRA to have this feature implemented. oh well.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2014

You're right that you can't validate this because the priority is ALWAYS changed by issue creation. It's going from <null because there's no issue> to <something>. Doesn't matter what the users select or ignore, "priority has changed" is always true.

The best you could do is to expand on your "change-me" default priority trick. Add that as the default and then put in a validator that says "fail validation if priority = change-me"

David Elman September 2, 2014

@nicyep, thought so for changed on creation, thanks for the confirmation.

regarding the validator on "fail if prio = change me" I can't seem to place that on issue creation, only on future steps changing. Is there some wayto place that on issue creation? see my above post stating at "I tried:" for why I can't seem to place this validation on issue creation.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2014

What do you mean "I can't seem to place this"? What's going wrong?

David Elman September 3, 2014

Those are the screen/options that I have. first SS is the create step.

second is what validator options I have when "add validator" is used.

third are the options of what fields to validate with the "Regular expression check"

So my question is what/how would I then do a value validation on the priority field ? (talking technical limitation here, not a syntax of regex)

Suggest an answer