fields not showing on create issue screen

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

Hi All

I have a screen (linked to the create issue screen via screen scheme and then on to Issue type screen scheme and finally to a project).

This screen has 41 fields on it.

But when I create an issue on this project (which is linked to this create issue screen) I only see 8 of them.

Why cannot I view all 41?

Is it something to do with field configurations?

PS: And yes, the Issue type SS maps all issue types to the the screen scheme.

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2013

Yes, you've missed one of four things:

Screens (have to mention is for completeness, but you've got that right)

Field configurations - can hide fields by issue type and/or project. Fields default to "visible" though, so if you have not touched field configs, they should be shown

Field context - when creating a new custom field, you can make it global, or limit it to an issue-type and/or project. Worth checking this

Finally, there's a user setting - they can hide fields from screens - look at the create screen to the top right and check that you have the new fields enabled

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

Hi Nic. Thanks for your comments. But still cant get it to show up. I have a field Bugzilla Id on the Default SI Screen (attached to Create Issue screen on SS -> ITSS->project).

2. Field configurations, i checked and it is definitely visible as I can see the button Hide at the end on field C.

3. I checked the field context on custom field and it is global.

4. I am on 4.1.2 so user setting option is ruled out.

Where can i be going wrong?

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 13, 2013

Ah, one more nagging doubt - What type of field is it?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

Of the 30 of fields which are not visible, most are Text Field (< 255 characters) and bugzilla id i mentioned above is one of those 30 fields and its type is Import Id

I know I am kind of at a dead end. Should I create a new screen from scratch (link it to ITSS -> project) and see if that works?

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2013

I don't recognise the type "import ID" - is that provided by a plugin of some sort?

Your text fields - are they just "text field" or "read only text field"?

What I'm getting at here is that read-only fields won't appear on Create or Edit screens. If "import ID" is a variation on a read-only text field, then it won't appear. Of course, they won't appear on view either, until they have data set.

Ritu Rao July 26, 2020

Hello Nic,

I am facing a similar issue :(

The field i have set is mandatory for the type bug and shows on my screen while creating an issue (I am an admin)

However it doesn't to a team member who is a jira user.

I have used the configure option on the create screen to be able to see all fields required.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2020

What type of field is it?

And what does "where's my field?" say when you use it from the "configure fields" option at the top right of the create pop-up dialogue?

1 vote
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2013
Ahmad Awadallah November 21, 2017

This really helped me!  Especially about the part to use the field helper to determine why I am not seeing a field.  It lead me to where my configuration issue was.

Thank you!

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 13, 2013

It could be the field configuration has them hidden. If the fields are custom ones they may not be global and only set for certain issue types or projects.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

Thanks Joe but I have checked both and cant get it to show.

Rahul

Suggest an answer