failing in creating issue via email

flavio mazzarotto September 11, 2017

I created 2 identical user, one with my personal email and one with the customer email. The customer uses jira as well and  he has to open issue in my jira with email originated from its installation.

the error I get is:

Precedence: bulk
JIRA fingerprints found on on incoming email message:
Received message with another JIRA instance's fingerprint
Ignoring email with bulk delivery type

I already whitelisted its domain... 

any clue ?

thanks a lot

flavio

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2017

Hi Flavio,

The problem here is that it seems that you're using an email that was originated from the other Jira instance. If you look at the full headers of the email, you'll see the Jira fingerprint mentioned in the error message.

The above-linked article explains where the check is coming from in the Email class. The workaround is to remove that code, but it also will remove your instance from our Supported Offerings, so please be aware of that.

We do have the following feature request here regarding that check:

Please watch and vote on it in order to show your support for this particular change.

Let us know if you have any questions about any of this.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

flavio mazzarotto September 12, 2017

Thanks a lot Shannon !

I evaulating Jira and I will be the one receiving issue from customers who already use Jira, so, forgive me, but I uderstand that the suggested workaround has to applied on their side, am I right ?

Flavio

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 13, 2017

Hi Flavio,

This would be changed on the instance that is receiving the emails. Jira will always generate the fingerprint but you'd need to edit your instance to not check for the existence of that fingerprint.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

0 votes
flavio mazzarotto September 13, 2017

Ah, ok, I tried it but  I got this (page not found):

Looks like we’re off the beaten track

They say that all roads, lead to Rome.

But we’ve lost our way, so let’s try going home.

Head to our documentation homepage that does exist.

:-)

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2017

Flavio,

Sorry about that. The article is visible to me, but I just tried to log out and back in as a non-Atlassian user, and then I get the same error as you. It appears that it has been removed from public view.

However, the article essentially said that's controlled in the Jira Email Class.

There's a part in it that checks for the fingerprint:

if (fingerPrintHeaders.contains(instanceFingerPrint))

However, I would advise against modifying the class in this way. You can see the procedure for JIRA 6.4 here: How to Make a JIRA Patch. The procedure may be different depending on your JIRA version, and you can likely run into issues from this.

The best option would be to leave your feedback on the feature request I sent you and include your use case to help understand why this feature is crucial to your business.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Thanks a lot for your help Shannon.

Flavio

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 14, 2017

You're welcome, Flavio.

Take care!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

0 votes

Hi Sannon, 

thanks a lot for the update, and sorry for my Jira skills that are still quite low !

My confusion was also originated by the fact that on the link 

I cannot see how I can avoid the check of the figerprint.

Regards

Flavio

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
September 13, 2017

Hi Flavio,

That would be in the first link I sent:

JIRA Email Finger Print

It shows you in the Email Class section where exactly it's coming from, so if you're familiar with modifying the source code, you could make the change.

However, I want to reiterate, this would cause your instance to be unsupported by Atlassian Support Offerings so please take care when making those modifications.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer