export from on-prem jira and import to jira cloud

Michal Vaněk October 7, 2019

Hi I have following scenario:

I have data (project with issues) in old on-premis jira version 6.1.3, i need export these data and import to the new project on jira cloud.

Which is is the best ways how to do it please advice me? I tried export issues to XLS file then save as CSV file and start CSV import in jira cloud but all imported issues failed on user fields because old uses are not in new jira cloud. Is it way how to import history of user fields to new jira cloud project? thanks 4 answer/advice

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2019

Hi @Michal Vaněk 

You have 2 options.

Option 1

You can migration from Jira server to cloud but you will first need to upgrade your Jira server to latest version so that it becomes compatible with Jira cloud. As you are on Jira 6.1.3 and it will take few intermediate upgrades but it is still possible and it is probably the best approach if you want to preserve your configurations and data. Take a look at the link shared by @Deepanshu Natani for more details. You will still loose some of the configurations or data if you are using add-ons that don't support server to cloud migration.

Option 2

If you do CSV import you will loose quite lot of information mostly configurations, user data like filters and boards, you will need to re-do the configurations to be able to import to cloud. You will need to probably match the users for your import to be successful.

If your instance is not complex, it is probably better to try Option 1.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

1 vote
Deepanshu Natani
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2019

Suggest an answer