export epics and stories in a csv

JEAN MARC PUJOL November 9, 2017

Hi everyone,

I need to export all my backlog in a csv. Versions, Epics and stories (with the link between them).

Exporting stories works fine. But how can I export the epics? I don't want to loose the link between epics and stories.

Thanks for your help.

Jean-Marc

4 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 2, 2020

Hello Everyone,

A quick update to this question:

Today, it is possible to properly export issues and their related epics (including the link between them) to a CSV file in Jira Cloud and Server applications.

For Jira Classic projects (Software or Service desk), these would be the steps:

1. Click in the filter drop-down at the top of the page > Advanced Search
  2. In the Issue navigator page, type a JQL query to return all the Epics and related issues you want to export. P.S: You can use the "Epic Link" field to select the issues related to a specific Epic

If you want to export specific fields from your issues, including the Epic link:

1. At the right side of the search bar, select "list view"
  2. Then, add the column "Epic Link" > Click in Export > Select "Export Excel CSV (Current fields)"

If you want to export all fields from your issues, including the Epic link, Click in Export > Select "Export Excel CSV (All fields)".

In both options above, the relation between Epics and child issues will be informed by the "Epic Link" column.

For Next-gen projects (available on Jira Cloud), the same steps above can be followed, however, using the "Parent" field/column to export the Epic relation.

Best regards,

Petter Gonçalves - Atlassian Support

Nicole Peters August 5, 2020

Could you provide an example of the JQL query?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 6, 2020

Hello @Nicole Peters,

The structure of the JQL query depends on what issues you want to export.

To give you a practical example, let's suppose you want to export all Epics together with its child issues from the project "ABC". This would be the JQL query:

project = abc and (issuetype = Epic or "Epic Link" is not empty)

Let us know if this information helps.

Like Shipra Goyal likes this
rcdpanjaitan December 6, 2021

Hello

@Petter Gonçalves 

I already include the Epic Link in the query, but when I exported to csv, it only return the issue id of the Epic.. any idea what to do?

thank you

Like Tina Maddox likes this
Jonathan May 19, 2022

I have that same problem. It gives the ID, not the epic link name. The information in the list view does not match the cvs file created. 

Like Tina Maddox likes this
1 vote
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2017

You can take this path:

1. Use the Better Excel Plugin to export epics and stories and whatever info is needed to an Excel file
  2. Open that in Excel
  3. Polish the data if necessary (renaming items, etc.)
  4. Then export that to a CSV file

I am a developer working on this app, and we have several users who took this path.

0 votes
Anita Hütter July 7, 2021

Hello everyone!

In my case I cant find the issues that has been created in the epics instead I added the Epic links. The epics has been exported and imported but without the lists of issues in epic and Issue Links.

In the log of the Importer you can find the errormessage:

Cannot add value [ [XXX] ] to CustomField Epic Link in Issue with summary 'YYYY'. Probably value was in incorrect format

The link comes from the export before.

It would be very nice is you can give me any suggestions.

Kind regards

0 votes
david
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
November 9, 2017

Hello Jean-Marc, with the default Jira export to CSV you can't export what you need. 

You will need to use a third-party app, one that fits you is Exporter: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.deiser.jira.exporter/server/overview

It allows you to export to CSV no only Stories and epics but their link, issue comments, and transitions. In case of Server instances, also Attachments.

I hope it helps,

Cheers

JEAN MARC PUJOL November 9, 2017

Thanks David for your quick answer.

Basically I need to migrate the whole product backlog of a project running on a JIRA instance hosted on Amazon, to another project running on another JIRA instance .

CSV file is the only way I 've found to do it. I'll have a look at Exporter.

david
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
November 9, 2017

Yes, the CSV export is made especially for migrations.

Good luck the migration, btw!

Suggest an answer