expired license trifecta

Jonathan Marra June 25, 2015

Ok, I have backed myself into a corner.  Hoping the collective here can get me out.

I have been OOO on med leave for two weeks.  My trial license has expired, and since my two weeks I seem to have forgotten my logins.  Or at least the ones I am trying are not working.  The 3rd piece is I did not get SMTP and email going on this sandbox yet so I cannot have info sent by email.

All I need actually is the current stories I setup in this first install.  I can reinstall and import if needed.

Help please?

thanks

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2015

You can reset the admin password with https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Retrieving+the+JIRA+Administrator - that will get you back in, but the expired licence will stop you doing much beyond "read only" stuff.

Nic, you rock. Question as I am a newbie with SQL queries. What app do you use or recommend to run the queries against JIRA DB? I have not done this before so your help is greatly appreciated.

Nic, you rock.  Question as I am a newbie with SQL queries.  What app do you use or recommend to run the queries against JIRA DB?  I have not done this before so your help is greatly appreciated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2015

I've tended to lean on SquirrelSQL in the past, but also just the command lines for whatever database I'm using at the time. The main question is actually "which database are you using" - that determines the "best" tool

Jonathan Marra June 26, 2015

Nic, I tried installing the squirrelSQL but ran into some issues. Beyond the app to use how do I connect to the JIRA DB? I can find another app or tool to use if needed but never connected to a DB and ran queries before. This would be the first time I have accessed a DB to run queries. thanks for any help I realize this is basic DB 101.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2015

I can't help you until you tell me what database you are using.

Jonathan Marra June 27, 2015

HSQL. the default DB used when installing JIRA locally. thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2015

Well, the tool I'd recommend for HSQL is the "database manager" that the HSQL team wrote. But for resetting the admin password, don't bother! Find database.script in the jira-home directory, save a backup copy, and open it up in a plain text editor. Find the line that says "insert admin details into CWD_USER" and overwrite the "{pkcs52}randomstring" with "randomstring" given in the atlassian doc. Start JIRA and login with admin/sphere

Jonathan Marra June 29, 2015

Ok, this did the trick. I actually did not even need to reset password. The script file, which for me on MS was JIRADB.script. when opened in viewer allowed me to see all usernames. I was able to login as another user, eleveate permissions and reset password that way. thank you very much.

0 votes
Jonathan Marra June 29, 2015

adding here as my answer from NIC above.

Ok, this did the trick.  I actually did not even need to reset password.  The script file, which for me on MS was JIRADB.script. when opened in viewer allowed me to see all usernames.  I was able to login as another user, elevate permissions and reset password that way.
thank you very much.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 29, 2015

Ack, sorry, I've been tinkering with too many Confluences recently, where it's called database.script. I forgot JIRA names it jiradb.script. Still, not too far off, and I'm happy you managed to work out I'd given you the wrong name!

Suggest an answer