error when i try to create an issue via customer portal

mel vega October 7, 2015

Hi,

I checked the permissions and all seems to be okay.

could you tell where the error can come from please?

thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2015

Not really, not without knowing what the error is.  What does the user see?  Also, if that's not a lot of detail, what does the log say when they try the creation?

mel vega October 7, 2015

there are not many details: the error message tells " Error: not able to create issue via this service desk

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2015

Ok, I know this one. Mostly. This is almost certainly down to permissions, and it's almost always that the default assignee for the issue is not an assignable user. Check the settings for the project, the "allow unassigned users" global flag (don't change it, just confirm that it is off), and look in the log file - if it is permissions, it should tell you in the log!

mel vega October 7, 2015

I checked the settings in global permissions, and in permissions but I didn't find the mention "allow unassigned users". Sorry but could you please tell me where to find it? The thing is I succeeded to do it during a time and now I can't anymore and without changing any configuration in the permissons schemes. I don't get it

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2015

Sorry, I was wrong. I've just spent weeks with JIRA Admins who know where almost everything is, so I don't have to explain too often, and I'm using the wrong phrases. "Allow unassigned issues" is in "General Configuration", not permissions where I mislead you. I'd also still check the log file for errors with the same timestamp as when this goes wrong - it should tell you what is happening.

mel vega October 7, 2015

no problem ! thanks! I found "allow unassigned issues" and it's ON. Should I change it for "OFF"? thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2015

No, don't change it. My logic here is a bit twisted, but I'll try to explain. The error you are getting is usually, but not always, down to some form of validation in the project preventing the issue being created. Most of the time, people tend to use the default settings for Service Desk projects, which work fine, but can sometimes trip up on the details of permissions - specifically, when creating an issue, it *requires* an assignee to be set. If you have "allow unassigned issues" set to OFF, *and* your project does *not* set a default assignee, then you can get the error you are seeing - the project won't set an assignee, but JIRA won't let you leave it blank. However, yours is set to ON. So it is NOT the problem I've just tried to describe. You have something else going on. I still suspect it is validation of some sort - can you check the log for when someone gets this message? It should give us some clues as to where o look next.

mel vega October 8, 2015

sorry again but where can i get the logs...!!sorry sorry

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 8, 2015

No need to apologise! There should be a logs directory under <your jira home>. If you don't know where your jira home directory is, then look at Admin -> System Information, that will give you the full path on the server. The file to look for is atlassian-jira.log (there may be others in that directory that could tell you stuff sometimes, but always start with atlassian-jira.log)

mel vega October 12, 2015

hi Nic good news ! a colleague of mine added a custom field as a validator on the create transition of the WF without adding this field in the creation form of the customer portal. that's why I could not create my issue. I'm very sorry to bother you with that. thanks for your help so far. It's good to know the jira log path anyway.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 12, 2015

So, the same principle of a missing field, just wasn't the usual culprit field.

Suggest an answer