epicSumUp: Field 'timetracking' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.

Sebastian Schöne April 13, 2016

I get this message when I click on the timebar and try to change the value.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jens Kisters //SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2016

You need to edit your issue, click on "where is my field" and then search for the field "Timetracking".

Add this field to the edit screen and the permissions are correct so that epicSumUp can save the values

Alexander Kay June 5, 2018

I'm getting the same error message while using JIRA Cloud Rest API. Any thoughts how to solve it?

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2018

Do you have the field on your edit screen?

Alexander Kay June 5, 2018

No, I don't. I know I have to add this field to my screen. However, here is something interesting from the JIRA Cloup API documentation: 

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/#api-api-2-screens-get

Apps are not allowed to access this REST end point to retrieve all screens however, Apps can modify screens. The most confusing case here is that to modify screen via API I have to provide screenId, but I don't have screenId because apps are not allowed to retrieve them.

I've found that theoretically I can add a field to screen by using Update Issue endpoint:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/#api-api-2-issue-issueIdOrKey-put

To do that I have to pass query string parameter overrideScreenSecurity=true. This parameter allows update of the fields that are hidden from the issue’s Edit screen. Only Connect add-on users with admin scope permission are allowed to use this flag. And I do have admin flag in my add-on. Nevertheless, when I include overrideScreenSecurity to my request I'm getting 401 - Not Authorized.

To put it in a nutshell, to create an issue with time tracking via Cloud API I have to send at least two requests: first to create an issue, second to update timetracking field, which is doesn't work :( 

Do you think you can help me that?

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 5, 2018

Why are you trying to use the Rest API to modify the screens and not the Jira UI?

Alexander Kay June 6, 2018

Because, we have SaaS application, which has to be integrated with JIRA. I'm not trying to modify screens, I'm trying to create project and issues via API, but without modifying screens I cannot create an issue with timetracking field. Hope now it's clear ;)

Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2018

Its getting clear but im afraid i don't know if that is possible.

Alexander Kay June 6, 2018

Thanks @Jens Kisters //SeibertSolutions. Here is a full discussion https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-Rest-API-Create-Issue-with-Time-Tracking/qaq-p/813595#U813634

I think I've found at least two bugs in JIRA Rest API, do you know where I can post a ticket about it?

Suggest an answer