empty sprint stays visible on scrum board

tommer August 5, 2014

I have 2 projects. project A and project B. Both have a dedicated board. I also have a sprint. I have removed all 'project B'-issues from that sprint. The sprint now only contains 'project A'-issues. Still, the sprint stays visible on my 'project B'-dedicated board. I fear that, if I delete the sprint, the sprint will be deleted completely, which means I also no longer see it on my 'project A'-dedicated board. How do I get rid of this sprint only on my 'project B'-dedicated board?

4 answers

1 vote
Max May 15, 2018

I ran into this issue recently within the same project. Team A's sprint was showing up in Team B's backlog with no issues in it. I checked the board queries and made sure there were no overlapping issues. The problem I had is that I could not start an new sprint on Team B's board because of the empty Team A sprint there. I renamed the Team A sprint and saw that the rename took effect on Team A's board for their active sprint. I believe what happened is that  the auto name generation feature in Jira defaulted the last name used as the basis for the next created sprint. At the time I was spinning up backlogs and boards for two new teams on the same day/browser session. I didn't notice which board I was in when the name defaulted and ended up creating a Team A sprint in Team B's board, which was really owned by that board but ended up being used by Team A because there were overlapping issues that made it show up on both boards during planning. 

I ended up having to move all the issues on Team A's active sprint into a new sprint on their board. That allowed me to go to Team B's board and close the bogus sprint. I was then able to start a new sprint for Team B. It's going to throw off my sprint report for Team A for that sprint, but that's the price I pay for not paying closer attention to the auto generated sprint name. 

So if you have a sprint with zero issues in it on your team's board, go and check the other boards to see if it's being used somewhere else. 

1 vote
PhillipS April 11, 2018

I've found that, normally the case, is that something is still being pulled into the board unexpectedly.  Granted I'm using much more complicated filters than "project = A" and "project = B".  My complicated filters are pulling in an issue tagged incorrectly and the data needs to be fixed to respect the filters.  Also check your subtasks to see if your filter is pulling any unexpectedly in (you can investigate this further with JQL issuetype=subtask and sprint="blah").  This is not visible from the backlog view easily since subtasks do not show up there.  That being said, that is not the problem with your simple filters mentioned above because subtasks must belong to the same project as the parent.

All of this said, I have run into a case that the sprint is showing up with no issues at all being pulled into that board.  Although sprints can be viewed from any board depending on that boards filter pulling in issues from that sprint, they are always visible on the board that they were created on, even if that sprint is empty.  Since I did not create the sprint, I can not say for sure if I am hitting that case, but I believe that the sprint was created on the wrong board, filled with correct tickets to show on a different board (correct board), but now is stuck empty on the wrong board that it was created from.  I don't have a work around for this except to let the sprint live empty on the wrong board until the sprint is over and then when it is closed it will disappear. 

1 vote
Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2014

Hi Tommer,

Have you checked if in the 'projec-B' dedicated board you have any connection with 'project-A'?
You can check that out by visiting: Go to the board >> Click on the Board button >> Configure >> General. See if there is any mention of 'project-A' in any of the filters that the board is using.

If there is any, you will have to remove it before deleting/ending the sprint on the 'project-B' board.

If there is not any mention, then you are good to delete the sprint without affecting 'project-A' board.

P.S.: It is always a safe step to backup the database before proceding with any procedure.
Just in case!

Backup: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Backing+Up+Data<br< a="">>
Restore: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Restoring+Data

Hope this helps!

Please let us know if you have any further question.

Cheers!

tommer August 5, 2014

hi Elisa,

thanks for your reply.

yes, I have checked. the B-board does not have any connection with 'project-A'. the filter is dedicated to project B : 'project = "B" order by RANK'

so, I deleted the sprint.

As I feared, the sprint is deleted completely from jira.

the sprint is also gone from the A-board.

too bad.

I have created a new sprint and moved all my issues down through my list of future sprints and refilled the new sprint.

I think it was a bug/glitch in the system. Of course, unreproducible

Elisa [Atlassian]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2014

Wow, that was an unexpected behavior! :O

Though, if the problem persists, please open a ticket on the Atlassian SAC (https://support.atlassian.com/). They will be able to dig a little further and help you better.

Best regards,

Elisa

Kelly Schoenhofen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2014

We have the same problem; say we have Project A and Project B, each with their own agile board (Board A and Board B). Someone adds an issue from Project B to a sprint in Project/Board A. The sprint now shows up the Plan/Work/Report screens on Board B - I get why, it's because an issue from Project B is in the sprint. We remove the Project B issues from the sprint, but the sprint (from Project/Board A) continues to show up on Project B's Plan/Work/Report screens. What does it take for JIRA Agile to stop including it on Board B? A re-index? Restarting JIRA? -Kelly G. Schoenhofen

Daniel Maiman February 14, 2018

Hi Kelly,

I'm still experiencing this issue as well, did you ever find a solution?

In my scenario we split a team into two teams and moved stories from board to another. All of the "planning" sprints we used to organize projects for what is now the second team stayed on the 1st team's board, even though they are now blank on that board.

Thanks,

Dan

0 votes
tommer lahat April 11, 2018

ok, thanks for you thoughts

Suggest an answer