email issue in jira

ar December 1, 2017

i have JIRA starter software license , i able to send mail from jira on new user created with from domain syslogyx.com which i configure in outgoing mail server in jira, but unable to invite user with gmail or other email  ids ?

2 answers

0 votes
ar December 11, 2017

Hi Branden

I am able to send mail from syslogyx.com to gmail from this mail server through webmail application of server it means mail server  has already  authentication

but not able to send mail from jira application to gmail ids  , i need to do any setting in jira ? please guide for same

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2017

Hi ar,

What mail server are you using, e.g. Gmail, Outlook, etc.?

Take a look in the atlassian-jira.log and the atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log to see if you can find any clues as to what is going on.  If you're using Exchange look for messages like the following:

javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;
  nested exception is:
 class com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for jira@google.com
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Command not allowed

com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;
  nested exception is:
 com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 554 5.7.1 <user@mail.com>: Relay access denied

Caused by: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 550 5.7.1 Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

If you do see messages like those take a look at 550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay Mail From Exchange Server for a resolution based on the version of Exchange you're using.

If you're not using Exchange, the logs will still provide clues and you can also go to System Administration > Outgoing Mail and click Send a Test Email.  Check the SMTP logging box and attempt to send a test email.  The box below will provide debug level SMTP logging to help determine what the root cause could be.

Cheers,

Branden

ar December 3, 2017

Thanks for reply

i used our domain mail server mail.syslogyx.com i am able to send and receive mail from syslogy.com domain but when i invite user which having gmail or any other email ids i.e other than my domain syslogyx.com then unable to recieve /send mail.

ar December 4, 2017

Thanks for reply

i used our domain mail server mail.syslogyx.com i am able to send and receive mail from syslogy.com domain but when i invite user which having gmail or any other email ids i.e other than my domain syslogyx.com then unable to recieve /send mail.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 4, 2017

Hi ar,

Thank you for that information.  It looks like you're using Exchange.  When you attempt to send mail do you see any of the errors in the Exchange logs that I posted in my initial response which should b resolved by 550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay Mail From Exchange Server?

In addition, what do you see in the atlassian-jira.log and the atlassian-jira-outgoing-mail.log?

Cheers,

Branden

ar December 4, 2017

Hi branden , i checked log i get below error --

2017-12-05 10:52:17,530 ERROR [jira] Sending mailitem To='amar.talokar@gmail.com' Subject='Account created' From='null' FromName='null' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='null' InReplyTo='null' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@1c990d9' MessageId='null' ServiceRunner    Mail Queue Service Error occurred in sending e-mail: To='amar.talokar@gmail.com' Subject='Account created' From='null' FromName='null' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='null' InReplyTo='null' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@c98a5d' MessageId='null'
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: javax.mail.SendFailedException: Invalid Addresses;
  nested exception is:
    com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.

ar December 4, 2017

Hi branden , i checked log i get below error But i able to send mail from webmail from syslogyx.com to any gmail ids but it is not done through done pls help  please check below error logs--

2017-12-05 10:52:17,530 ERROR [jira] Sending mailitem To='amar.talokar@gmail.com' Subject='Account created' From='null' FromName='null' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='null' InReplyTo='null' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@1c990d9' MessageId='null' ServiceRunner    Mail Queue Service Error occurred in sending e-mail: To='amar.talokar@gmail.com' Subject='Account created' From='null' FromName='null' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='null' InReplyTo='null' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@c98a5d' MessageId='null'
  nested exception is:
    com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
December 5, 2017

Hi ar,

This is the error you need to focus on:

nested exception is:

Specifically "This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address"

If you are not the mail administrator they will need to modify the settings on your mail server.  You can start with the Microsoft article Allowing application servers to relay off Exchange Server 2007 and the StackOverflow article mail(): SMTP server response: 503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address [closed] and go from there.

Cheers,

Branden

ar December 6, 2017

Hi Branden

I am able to send mail from syslogyx.com to gmail from this mail server through webmail application of server t.means has authentication .

but not able to send mail from jira appliaction , i need to do any setting in jira ? please guide for same

ar December 6, 2017

Hi Branden

I am able to send mail from syslogyx.com to gmail from this mail server through webmail application of server it means mail server  has already  authentication

but not able to send mail from jira appliaction , i need to do any setting in jira ? please guide for same

ar December 6, 2017

Hi Branden

but not able to send mail from jira application to gmail ids  , i need to do any setting in jira ? please guide for same

Suggest an answer