effect of workflow changes in existing project

Anthony Vizza January 15, 2015

We have a complex workflow in place for a project with 8000+ issues.  We want to change the workflow to make it more intuitive and easy-to-use.  The concern is not knowing all of the implications of the change (i.e. will we generate errors for users?  will there be "dropped" or "orphaned" records, etc.)

3 answers

1 vote
M February 13, 2015

When I did this recently in JIRA 6.3.7, with Agilile 6.6.51 plugin, the team was a few days into a Sprint, and it messed up the Burndown Chart for the current Sprint.  It lost it's guideline and now looked like it was burning up for the previous few days instead of down, although the team swore they did not add any new stories or story points to it after the Sprint started. 

Also, story points showed as if they had doubled or more than doubled in the list of the issues below the chart. 

Also, on the Sprint Report, issues that were formerly in Closed that should have gone to Done Done as I had told it to during the wizard steps, instead showed as In Progress on the bottom of the Sprint Report when looking at previously closed Sprints, even though when you went to those Issues directly, they did show they were actually in Done Done.  The currently open Sprint looked correct as far as the statuses though.  So be aware if there is an open Sprint that odd things may happen.  Atlassian sort of admits in their documentation that statuses can get confused on the Agile Reports sometimes.  I have not figured out how to fix it yet. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2015

When you apply the new workflow you'll be asked to select the new status for any issue that has a status that doesn't exist in the new workflow.

0 votes
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2015

After you make the switch I would recommend running an integrity check and fix the issues there (done automatically by JIRA). This should "save" all dropped issues. Data from within the ticket, like change history or field values, will not be effected.

Link: <your domain>/secure/admin/IntegrityChecker!default.jspa

Suggest an answer