editing a comment or work log removes the formatting

Derek Prestegard October 25, 2012

Has anyone noticed this? If I have entered a comment or a worklog that contains formatting like extra speaces, and then edit this comment / worklog, all the line breaks are removed and you end up with one giant paragraph. If you go back into editing mode the line breaks are visible, but when you save they're gone again.

This is very annoying! Is there a fix?

1 answer

1 vote
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2012

Hi Derek,

You can use the {noformat} tags to make sure JIRA does not remove the format you made.

Hope this helps,

Marcus

Derek Prestegard October 26, 2012

Hi Marcus,

I don't see an obvious place to enter these tags. Where do I do this?

Forgive me, I'm new to JIRA :)

Thanks,
Derek

Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2012

No worries Derek,

just write your comment like the following

{noformat}

comment with different formatting here.

{noformat}

The comment between the tags will be added as it was written, with extra spaces/lines.

Please give that a try and let me know if it works

Derek Prestegard October 26, 2012

Hi Marcus,

After more experimentation, I have to revise my initial statement. While editing the comment does indeed remove extra line breaks, refreshing the page restores the original formatting. Strange.

Adding {noformat} before and after the comment doesn't seem to have any effect.

Also, the editing box is incredibly small, and doesn't appear to support resizing. I'm on Chrome if that makes a difference. Is there a way to change this?

Suggest an answer