edit the rank field manually

Avidor Hershkovitz May 25, 2014

I am trying to edit the rank manually (not using drag and drop in the board), therefore I added the rank field to the relevant screen, I also removed the locked status of the field, but I am still unable to manually edit the rank.

How can I solve that ?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Avidor Hershkovitz May 30, 2014

yes eventually we will use the filter option although it is really not good solution

0 votes
Avidor Hershkovitz May 25, 2014

Hi Svante,

Thanks for your reply, the management of the team would like to go on each ticket seprately and decide on the priority, they don't want to rank it via the board, while the team actually it working with the board to show the progress of the project.

As for the rank, there will be only 1 project at the beginning so the global ranking is not really a matter

Avidor.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2014

It doesn't really matter how many projects you've got, the point Svante makes is that the rank of an issue isn't a field you can just enter, it's a position in a list releative to all the other issues.

It doesn't actually make any sense to try to rank an issue without the rest of the issues around it available for comparison. Looking at each issue "separately" is pointless for ranking, you need to rank in context.

Older versions of Jira used to try to let you do this - you could edit the rank field, it would pop up a list of issues surrounding the current one and let you reposition it in the list, although it was a bit clunky and error prone.

I suspect the boards are going to remain the best way to rank stuff, although it would be nice to actually see something on the issue that tells you where the current issue lies and shows you some around it.

One basic approach when you've got a lot of issues though - use priorities, or a custom field to group your issues up into groups like "really should do this next", "important but don't panic", "needs to be on the list" and "meh", then use quick-filters on your board to enable quicker ranking within each group.

Like Muhanad Znbrakji likes this
0 votes
Svante Gustafsson Björkegren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2014

Hi Avidor,

I am not sure you should do this because the ranking is made in one global sequence for the entire JIRA instance and the value of the field is a relative number to the issues next to the issue in a board.

Could you please elaborate a bit more on your use-case? Why do you need to change this manually?

Cheers,

// Svante

Suggest an answer