eazyBI - Number of days in status (including current status and status cycles)

dominicfinke August 31, 2016

Hi,

a colleague of mine needs sort of a hard/crazy report with eazyBI. The fact aside that eazyBI already gives you the option to check for days in transition status and days in status as separate reports, he needs them both combined... with a twist.

To cover all his needs, the report should 

1. List the days in transition status
  2. days in status for the current status the single issues are in - except the final status.
  3. cover status cycles (let's say an issue was closed and is then reopened to status Open)

I'm totally new to eazyBI and - sadly - find little help within the eazyBI documentation. Either I'm missing the very essentials of the documentation or it has none. Sadly most of the examples within the eazyBI test environment are not self explanatory and very hard (if at all) understandable to me without any comments in the calculated members code. 

To (maybe) clarify the needs of my colleague, I've tried to put them into one single table:

WhatWeWant.PNG

• Issue-123 is in status Closed - no need for any further days in status updates.
  • Issue-234 is currently in status Validation for 4 days - all following entries need to be 0 or empty.
  • Issue-345 is the bad guy... it's gone through the whole workflow, was in closed for 2 days and then reopened.

So, my dear friends and eazyBI nerds. Who out there can help me create this beast of a report or at least point me into the right direction for it?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daina Tupule eazyBI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2016

Here is the formula for Days any transition status - days when issue was in this statuses before and current status as well. The formula will aggregate results (sums) for all issues.

NonZero(Sum(
  Filter(
    Descendants([Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember, [Issue].[Issue]),
    [Measures].[Issues history] >=0),
  -- for previous periods when issues was in particular status
  [Measures].[Days in transition status]
  +
  -- time how long (til now) issue is in this status currently
  IIF([Measures].[Issues history] > 0,
  DateDiffDays(
     [Measures].[Issue status updated date],
     Now()), 0)
))

You need to use Transition status dimension in a report. The formula will retrieve Sum of days for selected Transition status/-es from all issues currently in this Transition status or has been in this Transition status. You could select only open Transition statuses in a report. 

dominicfinke September 8, 2016

Thank you Daina. My colleague was very happy, so it seems to fit his needs.

Vijeesh Sathyanesan October 16, 2018

Hi @Daina Tupule eazyBI,

I tried to apply the given formula. But, its throwing some syntax error. Screenshots are given below. 

Could you please have a look?

Thanks in advance,

Vijeesh

Erorr_1.PNGErorr_2.PNG

Daina Tupule eazyBI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 16, 2018

Hi Vijeesh,

It seems the formula was broken and symbols > replaced > operator. I updated the formula above. I also changed the measure name Issues in transitions status was updated to Issues history since eazyBI version 4.1.0 released in Oct'2016. I also used Issue propety Issue status updated date instead of measure Transition to status last date in the formula. 

Daina / support@eazybi.com

Vijeesh Sathyanesan October 17, 2018

Thanks a lot @Daina Tupule eazyBI

It worked! Thank you!

rateodoros May 13, 2019

Vijeesh, What were the rows and measures you used? I'm still getting error

1 vote
Daina Tupule eazyBI
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2020

@Colin Fagras the same report and measure Days in transition status till now will work with several Transition statuses. You can use either multiple selections in the Pages for several transition statuses or define and use calculated member aggregating several statuses in Pages (or Columns) together with this measure. 
See an example formula for a calculated member in Transition status dimension to aggregate several statuses:

Aggregate({
[Transition Status].[In Progress],
[Transition Status].[Review]
})

Please take this into account. The formula and report might work quite slow for several statuses if you have a lot of issues in the account. You would like to add some additional filters by issue properties within a formula to improve some performance.

@jamila.augustine could this be a case, you would like to calculate total time in several statuses (cycle) for closed/resolved issues? You can check Control chart cycle time report example for this in our demo account. The Rolling average cycle time shows total time in any status from the status category In Progess. You can check out measure Rolling average cycle time alternative (in Measures block section User defined) if you would like to explicitly set a list of statuses par cycle.

Any of those formulas: Days in transition status till now, Rolling average cycle time, Rolling average cycle time alternative could be switched to workday calculations if you will use measure Workdays in transition status instead of Days in transition status. You also would like to use DateDiffWorkDays instead of DateDiffDays function as well.

jamila.augustine February 28, 2020

@Daina Tupule eazyBI  Thanks so much. I just had to edit the formulas (DateDiffWorkDays instead of DateDiffDays,Workdays in transition status instead of Days in transition status ). 

So I am using this measure:

NonZero(

Cache(

-- days in transition status when issue was in this status previously

[Measures].[Average workdays in transition status]

+

-- days since last transition to this status

IIF([Measures].[Issues history] > 0,

DateDiffWorkDays(

( [Measures].[Transition to status last date],

[Time].CurrentHierarchy.DefaultMember ),

Now()

), 0

)

)

)

This measures displays days in decimals. Can I round them up to nearest tens?

Thanks

jamila.augustine February 28, 2020

@Daina Tupule eazyBI : I figured it out. Thanks so much for the support.

0 votes
Daina Tupule eazyBI
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2020

Here is an example report in our demo account with the similar formula Days in transition status till now:

https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/61947-issue-days-in-backlog

We updated the formula with some performance improvements. 

jamila.augustine February 26, 2020

Hi @Daina Tupule eazyBI :  I am looking for something similar..Except that I would like to see all time in statuses (except closed) in Workdays. Is that possible? I am new to eazyBI and is figuring out the possibilities..Thanks for your support..

Colin Fagras February 28, 2020

Figured it out.

Suggest an answer