downgrade from JIRA 6.1

Lee Buckley October 20, 2013

Can we downgrade from JIRA 6.1 ? to a version that works with Zephyr

If so what versions of JIRA and Zephyr are actually compatible ?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I'm going to uninstall and then re-install, as Zephyr have said version 2.0 will not be compatible with 6.1. So i will have to wait for version 2.1.

Werner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

Hi,

were you successful with uninstalling and re-installing?

I got a similar issue here: we have JIRA 6.1. on our test system and want to downgrade to 5.2.6 (our production-version), as we want to test the upgrade to the latest version.

According to the comments here it would be the best to uninstall and install the old version. I could then restore a application- and database-backup from our previous 5.2-test system - and it should work then. Right?

Lee Buckley January 22, 2014

Yes but i we had barely used the system, so there was very little impact.

It was a simple process that went off without any issue, but we had no data or users on the system.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 20, 2013

Short answer is "no".

There's several docs about downgrading Jira floating around the web, and they have two important points - first they're all very old, and secondly, even then, they say "Do not do this (but if you must...)

In theory, of course, it is possible. The best route is probably to export the 6.1 data to xml, work out what needs to be migrated back to the previous format, change the xml and then import it into the previous version. You could probably do it directly in the database as well.

But whatever route you think is best, it is a LOT of work. Which gets potentially exponentially more difficult with each type of custom field you use, each plugin you're using and with each version of Jira you diverge by.

I've only ever successfully downgraded a Jira install three times. Once from 5.0.4 to 5.0.2, and the other two don't really count because I was able to simplify them by deleting all the issues.

I suspect a better route would be to hassle Zephyr to make it compatible with Jira 6.1

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2013

Hi Lee

Atlassian doesn't support downgrade and if you try to downgrade a major release (6.1 -> 6.0) probably some data will be loss because there will be changes in the database structure.

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

I'm going to uninstall 6.1 and then re-install with version 6.0.1 as this works with

Zephyr v1.7.3. Thanks

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 20, 2013

Suggest an answer