donotreply email issue with generic user JIRA account

Michael Hollander May 5, 2013

Hello all,

I have been experiencing an e-mail related issue for JIRA regarding our anonymous account. This account is used by employees in the company to submit tickets, and they are notified later by the reply to address in the ticket. These emails are communicated by a donotreply@domain.com address, which is not an entry in our Microsoft Exchange server, nor a user on Active Directory. However, e-mails sent through this address have absolutely no body; the subject is fine, but the body of the email is completely blank. This problem only seems to occur with the anonymous JIRA account. Logging in as admin or another developer results in the emails being sent by Jira Support, a valid user in our Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange, to the user.

Is there any configuration on JIRA that I should look at regarding the anonymous user? It only seems to be this account that has their notifications sent through donotreply. The issue appears to have started a couple of weeks back.

10 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Michael Hollander May 22, 2013

Hello all,

After sending some support zips to Altassian, we've determined that the issue is either with our email client or our servers. JIRA appears to be configured correctly.

We will handle this from our end now.

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2013

Michael,

Check on what is the Issue Event fired by JIRA when you create or close in the Workflow Transition. From there, you will know what event is fired. Once you know what event is fired, check if that particular event has the email template modified in the JIRA_Install/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/templates/email directory .

In addition to that, you might want to confirm if any additional third party plugin cause this behaviour by disabling them temporarily while performing another test.

-Janet

0 votes
Michael Hollander May 10, 2013

Update: It appears that this issue in fact does not apply to simply the anonymous user, but rather to the reporter of any ticket. I opened a ticket under my name and the notification email's body was completely blank.

0 votes
Michael Hollander May 8, 2013

Hello Janet,

When an anonymous user creates an issue, they just click the Create Issue button on the top right next to the Quick Search bar. There are no custom fields they need to fill in. The blank emails seem to be redirected to the email reply address, though. In addition, this seems to only apply once the ticket is created: the ticket open and ticket closing notification emails have [OPEN] and [CLOSED] in the subject, but the body is blank. If I re-open a ticket and close it, however, the subject says [JIRA] and the email has a body.

We are using the default JIRA notification feature.

We have not modified the e-mail template. The "text\issueclosed.vm" was modified, but that was when the problem was ocurring. I changed something minor there, and then changed it back once I realized it did nothing.

It would be very difficult for me to create a new user as we have already used up all our available JIRA license.

0 votes
Michael Hollander May 7, 2013

Something else that may be of use: I looked through the altassian-jira.log file on our server, and I found this at the moment I opened a ticket under anonymous:

2013-05-08 13:44:53,238 http-30000-6 ERROR admin 824x13483x1 hoeq1m 10.0.1.33 /rest/gadget/1.0/twodimensionalfilterstats/generate [common.error.jersey.ThrowableExceptionMapper] Uncaught exception thrown by REST service
java.lang.RuntimeException: No custom field with id customfield_10000

Of course the resulting e-mail had a subject but no body. I'm able to find other instances of this, as well. Normal e-mails don't seem to have a log entry here.

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2013

Michael,

You might be right on the specific configuration that affect only "anonymous" user because I can't reproduce this at the moment.

So, what is the exact steps that the user do when they create the issue ? is there any specific custom field that they need to field in ? or did they just Share the issue after creating it ? Did they use the Issue Collector to create the issue ?

Perhaps understanding environment first would helps us diagnosing the behaviour. So, do you have any plugins that you use for this or you use the default JIRA notification feature ?

Do you have any modified template especially in the email template ? You can check this in the JIRA System Information.

If you create another user who is not in Active Directory and use this new username, will it has the same behaviour as "anonymous" ?

0 votes
Michael Hollander May 7, 2013

The project's notification address is set to jira-support@domain.com. E-mails sent from this address contain both a subject and a body, but e-mails sent from donotreply@domain.com only contain a subject.

I am beginning to wonder if there is some sort of setting associated with the reporter of a ticket. The problem seems to occur when the anonymous user is set as the reporter.

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2013
Is that email address configured in project settings to sent notifications from? Regards
0 votes
Michael Hollander May 6, 2013

Hello Janet,

The email address configured for "anonymous" is that of our network administrator. The emails generated to users logging into "anonymous" and putting their addresses as contacts in a ticket come from donotreply@domain.com, however.

We are using JIRA 5.1.1

0 votes
Janet Albion
Atlassian Team
May 6, 2013

Hi Michael,

Does it means that JIRA sent the notification from donotreply@domain.com address when the user login as "anonymous" ?

• What is the email address set for the user "anonymous" ? Is it the donotreply@domain.com ?
  • what JIRA version are you running ?

Suggest an answer