different person installed Jira

Paul Dillon October 8, 2013

I inherited a jira installation from my predecessor. he is the guy who installed it. I am an admin on the server (Windows server) but the commands to stop and start jira dont work for me. If I get him to log in and do it they work for me. I can't find his ID in any of the config files. Our IT department tell me that I have the same permissions as him. How does Jira service decide who can, and cannot stop and start Jira?

I am in the administrator group on the server, this should give me access to everything on the server. the Jira installlation is under program files (x86). there is nothing in the logs

thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Paul Dillon October 15, 2013

Ok, I have done something really stupid and it is embarrassing but I am going to post it here so everyone can learn (and chuckle at) my mistake. I had assumed that because I am administrator on the box that if I clicked on the Jira batch files to run them they would just run, as me. I just discovered, by rightclicking to find the exact targets to answer one of my respondents here, that there is a 'run as administrator' option in the right-click menu. It all works if I use that and it works fine. I love Atlassian and Jira again, but now I hate Microsoft. Thank you all for your interest and aplogies for wasting your time )-:

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

What commands are you using exactly and what response do you get ?

0 votes
Paul Dillon October 8, 2013

I am in the administrator group on the server, this should give me access to everything on the server. the Jira installlation is under program files (x86)

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2013

Any error is the logs? Maybe JIRA is installed or JIRA Home directory is in the User directory where you do not have permissions?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2013

believe me, I have seen that before :)

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2013

... which would be ridiculous for a company JIRA :-)

Suggest an answer