dependant subtaks

tiagomatosweb July 9, 2017

Hi, I am new on Jira.
How I create a sub task that is dependant on another one? This task could be a subtask but must be executed when the main task is done. How do I manage that?

2 answers

0 votes
tiagomatosweb July 10, 2017

So, in this case if I have task 1 and task 2 which I need to do task 2 only when task 1 is done, so I would create task 2 and subtask 1 with the rule that task 2 can not be closed until task 1 is done, is that right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2017

Not quite.  You'd have Task 1. 

Task 2 would be a sub-task of 1.  You would not be able to close 1 until 2 has reached a certain state.

tiagomatosweb July 12, 2017

Yes, that works! How do I do that please?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2017

Edit the workflow for Task 1, and look at the "conditions" on the transition into "done".  You will want to add the "sub task blocking" condition to it (you don't need to worry about the sub-task workflow having this condition, or if there are no sub-tasks on a parent - if there are no sub-tasks, it won't block anything)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 9, 2017

The usual thing to do is have a workflow for the main issue that includes a condition "can not close this issue when it has open sub-tasks".  That condition is a standard one available in JIRA off-the-shelf.  A second option is in JIRA Software - a main issue can be moved to done when its last sub-task is closed.

With a little bit of code (provided by add-ons), there are variants - automatically transitioning sub-tasks when a main issue changes, or changing issues based on issue links rather than sub-tasks.

Suggest an answer