delete custom field

Tshepo January 14, 2013

Hi, I want to delete one of the custom field but i want to know the following:

- what will happen to the data available

- can i backup the data before deleting the field

- after deletetion can i create another field and copy the data over to the new one

Regards

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2013

Create the new custom field, copy the data for all issues using Bob's CLI to the new field. Delete off the old field.

Tshepo January 20, 2013

Hi Renjith,

Whats Bob's CLI, is it a plugin or software i need to download?

Tx

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2013
0 votes
Alexey Dorofeyev
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2017

Before deleting custom fields you can review their values using Custom Fields Usage plugin

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/systems.npe.jira.cfu/server/overview

0 votes
Tshepo January 14, 2013

Hi,

Page Not Found.

This might have happened for the following reasons:
  • This question or answer has been deleted.
  • The URL has an error.

Links:

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2013

what does the integrity checker say?

Tshepo January 14, 2013

Hi Fayal, if you look at my request...only wanted to know what happens to data when u delete custom field and how can i backup before deletion?

Tshepo January 14, 2013

Hi Faysal, if look at my request..i only wanted to know what happens data when u delete a custom field and how can i copy or back it up?

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2013

oh my bad. you're completely right.

sorry for that :)

i don't know jira ondemand but there are plugins that allow you to copy values from one field to another...

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 14, 2013

It is possible to delete custom fields. This has been discussed in answers before. Have a look at the link and the response from Nic and Eva,

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/51896/can-i-delete-custom-fields

Rahul

Suggest an answer