default watcher configuration

Pat Noack September 12, 2012

Everytime someone replys to a ticket they are added as a watcher. Some people do not like this and want to only be added as watcher if they manually do it. Is there some way of doing this?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
David Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2012

This is likely due to the 'Autowatch' function. See here:

* https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+5.1+Release+Notes#JIRA5.1ReleaseNotes-autowatch

Users can disable that function via their profile preferences.

Pat Noack September 12, 2012

Does this work for an on-demand installation. The user profile does not have many settings that I can see.

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2012

According to this documentation:

There should be an option under preferences at user profile.

0 votes
Ravi Shah March 25, 2020

Hi @Pat Noack2 ,

You can achieve this by means of automation rules.

I was able to add a default watcher by simply creating an automation rule at the event (trigger) of New Issue Created, followed by certain conditions which are called components in automation rule config. No Plugins are required to do so and we can choose this rules at global level or at project level as well. BTW the rules are very cool to do lot of stuff automatically. 

HTH :)

AlexV September 16, 2020

sounds like you created a way to auto subscribe users. I'm interested in having default be 'off' and users could Opt-in to receiving emails.

As Admin in the cloud installation, enabling this policy 'greys' out the choice for the users, and they are all auto-subscribed to everything they touch. Super undelightful experience.

Ravi Shah November 4, 2020

Well it really depends on each use case. In our case, we wanted certain users to be auto-subscribed. It was pretty much need based. :)

Like AlexV likes this

Suggest an answer