dates on csv import

julian bankston September 9, 2012

I am receiving this error when i use the csv importer.

• Unable to parse created date: 1/1/12 7:16
  • Unable to parse created date: 1/1/12 7:28
  • Unable to parse created date: 1/1/12 7:35
  • Unable to parse created date: 1/1/12 7:38
  • Unable to parse created date: 1/10/11 10:19

i have tried several date formats. yyyy/MM/dd h:mm a, yy/MM/dd h:mm a, MM/dd/yyyy h:mm a, and MM/dd/yy h:mm a

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

11 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2012

Have you tried the dates in full format with matching masks (your dates and masks as posted don't match at all)?

e.g. 30/02/2012 10:19 with a date mask of dd/MM/yyyy hh:mm

Nic, thanks for pointing that out. Excel was messing with the format of my dates. All is well now. thanks!

Arpita Argulwar June 17, 2014

Hello Julian,

What exact chnages you have done in csv file. I have set the custom format as mentioned by Nic and upload it again. However I am getting the same warning.

Regards,

Arpita

No luck Dj.. getting the same error.

Atul Shakti March 4, 2015

Hi Julian- what exactly did you try? i mean what changes you made in the excel csv format. what date format did you choose

LongN September 14, 2016

Dear sir, 
I have exact the same problem and use exact the date mask but it's still failed. 

Do you have any idea to troubleshoot? 

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/41478834/import-error-please-enter-the-date-in-the-format-dmmmyy-eg.-14sep16

10 votes
Nicole Downes August 29, 2019

When importing, and your Jira format is: dd/MMM/yy h:mm a  

from an excel csv file, use custom format: dd/mmm/yy h:mm AM/PM

This works for

• Date Created
  • Date Modified
  • Due Date
Jennifer Hubble August 25, 2020

This worked for me; thank you!

Like Ihsan Ameen likes this
Jasmine Lee November 6, 2020

THIS WORKED FOR ME! Thank you! A succinct and clear answer. I just wanted to upvote this comment so hopefully it gets more visibility.

Like Sarah Shepard likes this
Oren Zehavi February 23, 2021

Worked thank you! 

prashantgera April 2, 2021

@Nicole Downes : I have also faced the same issue but I am unable to import the .csv file.

Steps i have done to fix this:

1. Export Excel CSV (all fields)

2. I have filed "Due Date" is some of the Issue types. Select the whole Due date column . Format Cell==>Custom==>Type: dd/mmm/yy h:mm AM/PM and click OK

3. Save the file as CSV UTF-8

4. Go to new Project ==>  Import the .csv file

5. Put date format as : 02/004/21 6:42 a

It throws error:  Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ Due date is required. ]

Where I am wrong ? 

@Jasmine Lee 

Nicole Downes April 5, 2021

@prashantgera 

The solution I have provided assumes that your Jira Look and Feel Date/Time Formats for Complete Date/Time Format is dd/MMM/yy h:mm a  Example: 23/May/07 1:55 PM

In your Step 5 you don't have this format. You have months using numbers, (004) instead of letters (APR).

prashantgera April 6, 2021

When I put month as Apr... it again throws an error message saying  "A is not valid"

Nicole Downes April 6, 2021

@prashantgera Date format on the Import screen at Step 5 set as dd/MMM/yy h:mm a

Like Oren Zehavi likes this
1 vote
Nicole Downes September 3, 2019

In your excel file, make sure you format the date field using use custom format: dd/mmm/yy h:mm AM/PM

Robin Mathew September 3, 2019

Hi Nicole.. Thank you for getting back to me. I have done that as well. Quick question, will it be sufficient that the date displays as dd/mmm/yy h:mm am/pm or do i need to update the date itself? The custom format only changes how this is displayed rather modifying the actual data. Once i have some more guidance i can take another shot at uploading this data. 

Nicole Downes September 3, 2019

That should be sufficient.   It works for me if you save the csv with that format for your date columns.

Like Pavan Chityala likes this
1 vote
Dhananjay Kale June 17, 2014

I have tried this (dd/MMM/yy hh:mm:ss a) format and its working without any error.

Arpita - Can you please try to change the format in excel and import the issues.

Mayur Ingale September 30, 2015

In CSV we can't edit the date format. To edit that open the CSV fiel in notepad++ & do the changes.

0 votes
Nishant Kumar November 4, 2020

I followed below steps:

1). In my .csv file:
-> Snapshot of my .csv file:

1.png

->Right Click on 1/3/2020 13:31 -->Format Cells -->Custom--> m/d/yyyy h:mm
Then click on ok.
1.png

--> In my .csv file, the date-time format, I have opted is:m/d/yyyy h:mm

--> Jira setting -> System -> External System Import
     Kindly use date format in Jira Import: m/d/yyyy h:mm( Same one that you have used for your .csv file).

prashantgera April 2, 2021

I have also faced the same issue but I am unable to import the .csv file.

Steps i have done to fix this:

1. Export Excel CSV (all fields)

2. I have filed "Due Date" is some of the Issue types. Select the whole Due date column . Format Cell==>Custom==>Type: dd/mmm/yy h:mm AM/PM and click OK

3. Save the file as CSV UTF-8

4. Go to new Project ==>  Import the .csv file

5. Put date format as : 02/004/21 6:42 a

It throws error:  Issue can't be created due to the error/s [ Due date is required. ]

Where I am wrong ? 

0 votes
Deleted user October 13, 2020

I've had some issues with CSVs imports failing. I fixed them by:

- changing the delimiter in the csv to comma , in stead of (originally) semicolon ; or other delimiter

- setting date in csv to dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm e.g. 03-10-2020 14:41 (October 03 2020 2:41 PM)

- setting import config to dd-MM-yyyy HH:mm as well (same as in csv)

Example of contents of this in the csv:

Issue key,Summary,Created

KEY-123,Summary goes here,03-10-2020 14:41

When CSVs are provided, the date should be noted in the file as dd-MM-yyyy, but is sometimes noted as by original poster, with / between day/month/year.

Importing also works when using the MM-dd-yyyy format, e.g. 10-03-2020 for October 03 2020.

0 votes
Robin Mathew September 3, 2019

Hi I tried changing the format of the date in excel and my csv but still getting errors and incorrect dates when i do bulk uploads of issues. this is the error that I am getting. 

Unable to parse datetime: 24-Feb-20 using the date format pattern: dd-MMM-yy h:mm a

Anything that I am missing here?

preethy sekar June 18, 2020

Hi Robin,

Even i got the same error 
did you find any fix for it

Thanks

Sriram Venkatakrishnan July 13, 2020

In the CSV file, set the Custom format of the date column to "dd/MMM/yy h:mm AM/PM" and try importing it. It worked for me.

Like mittal.g likes this
mittal.g September 5, 2020

Hi Sriram, Setting the custom format as stated works

0 votes
Azfar Masut May 25, 2015

Ensure your data format in CSV is tally with your JIRA date format ( System > Look & Feel > Scroll to the bottom ) before importing. As Excel usually messed with your date format.

By default it should be as below:

*dd/MMM/yy h:mm a*

Corinna Führing January 5, 2016

YYYY-MM-dd HH:mm this is in my look and feel so i must use the same ?

Matthew Leach October 25, 2017

Also Excel doesn't offer the date format of *dd/MMM/yy h:mm a* so whey wont' JIRA accept a standard format like mm/dd/yyyy h:mm a* ? So you're required to create your own custom format and apply it. Seems like a lot of overhead to import. 

Like Deleted user likes this
0 votes
Dhananjay Kale June 17, 2014

Hi Arpita,

Please check the date format that has been configured in the System Info section and use the same. Also per Sateesh, make the same date format changes to CSV before importing. Hope it helps.

Atul Shakti March 4, 2015

Hi Dhananjay, can you tell where exactly in the system infor section date format is mentioned.

0 votes
Sateesh Chandra June 17, 2014

Arpita,

Can you let me know the date format configured in your Jira. Make sure you make the changes to Excel dates similar to it.

dd/MMM/yy h:mm a

0 votes

My workflows involves exporting the query results from workbench adn importing into excel to correct NULL values and bad description field entries. I save it from excel and import into Jira.

Suggest an answer