database crashed when upgrading JIRA

Xiuqing Bao May 27, 2012

We have successfully installed JIRA5.0.0 on Dev1 and we tried to copy the installation files from Dev1 to Dev2 to upgrade JIRA from 4.4 to 5.0.0. But when I tried to start JIRA on Dev2, error occured:

'Failed to start JIRA due to a build number inconsistency. The data present in your database is newer than the version of JIRA you are trying to startup. Database version is: 713 JIRA app version is: 649 Please use the correct version of JIRA. You are running: 4.4#649-r158309 '

We have backup for the database on Dev2, so now how can I restore the data?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2012

As I see copying the installation files from the Jira 5 to Jira 4.4 has crashed your Dev 2 instance (your 4.4). I'm sure you won't be able to start the service.

In my point of view, I would recommend to create a new Jira 4.4 instance in the Dev2 and restore the backup you created. But I'm not sure from what instance is the backup or from what moment... It should one from the moment before you started to modify the instance.

And that way start all over again, but doing an upgrade to Jira directly on the dev2 instance.

Other way would be if you have an XML backup and create a new instance directly with Jira 5 and then restore the XML backup, that's the way I made my upgrade because I didn't want to 'play' with my Jira 4.4 instance.

Xiuqing Bao May 27, 2012

we have XML backup and I think I have to create new instance directly with JIRA5 and then restore data.

Seems no simpler way, it's a pity. We always try to find easier way to upgrade JIRA since we have so many enviroments like Dev1, Dev2, UAT, PROD.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2012

I'm not sure that your first try was the easier way... I'm not sure how it would if it is a minor upgrade, but in case of upgrading something big, like from 4.x to 5.x I think it's better to create a new instance.

You will see that creating a new dev and then restoring the xml backup in the Jira5 will be very fast and easy ;)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2012

What do you mean by "installation files"? It sounds like you've modified stuff on the Dev1 install and rebuilt the system but not done the same on Dev2. You've also got the problem that you're running 4.4 on Dev2 and not 5 as you seem to want to do.

Could you run through exactly what you have done? I can't even tell you to use a backup at the moment because I don't know what you've got running where.

Xiuqing Bao May 27, 2012

We have installed JIRA4.4 on Dev2 and JIRA5.0.0 on Dev1, I tried to upgrade JIRA from 4.4 to 5.0.0 on Dev2. But now I want to stop the process and recover the data on Dev2 server.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2012

Once you've started an upgrade, you can't go back (unless it's stopped before Jira starts restructuring the data). You'll need to go back to a backup of the data from before you started the upgrade process.

You also say you were trying to upgrade to 5, so that's what you've got on Dev2, but that's not what the error message says, so I'm not clear on what you have on Dev2 or what you're doing with it.

Xiuqing Bao May 27, 2012

Now I don't want to upgrade it that way. I just want to make JIRA4.4 work again in Dev2 server.

Xiuqing Bao May 27, 2012

What you seen in the error message is that when I tried to start JIRA 4.4, the original version.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2012

Ok, that's not quite what you said, but it's a bit more clear now.

What you need to do is create a clean installation of 4.4 on Dev2, building it in the same way that you built the 4.4 on Dev1. Then go back to the backup you took before the upgrade, place that in the database and start the new 4.4

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 27, 2012

On Dev2, probably. The fact that it's an earlier version than the data implies you've got an older build and need a new one.

Xiuqing Bao May 27, 2012

Do you mean Ishould tatally reinstall JIRA4.4 again?

Suggest an answer