customising screens and workflow in Jira On demand

Sridhar Kulkarni September 30, 2014

Hi

I am trying to create the custom fields, custom screens and custom workflows in JIRA On demand instance. But every time I am creating these it is applying to all projects created in Jira. How can we prevent the same so that every project has a unique fields, screens and workflows.

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2014

You need to use different schemes for each of the artefacts.

Workflow schemes tell projects which workflows to use for each issue type

Screens determine which fields are shown to a user at certain times, screen schemes tell you which screens to use for an issue type, and issue type screen schemes tell a project which screen schemes to use

There's also field configurations which can show/hide fields, and hence field configuration schemes to tell a project which field configurations to use

And, for fields, there is also the field context - you can tell a field "only appear in project X and Y, for issue type Z"

Start at https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Fields+and+Screens

Sridhar Kulkarni September 30, 2014

hi Nic,

Thanks for your quick response. Every time I create the schemes I am getting the fields created for each project visible in every other project. Also in Cloud,it is not allowing me to create my custom workflows.

when I am trying to change the default workflows, it is changing the same in all the projects. Please help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2014

I've already said you need to use different schemes for different projects - if you're just plonking fields in and not changing the schemes to match what you need, then of course they're going to appear everywhere, you're not separating them properly. Think of objects like workflow, screens and fields as lists of things you *could* use. The schemes tell a project which sets of these you want to use for that project. For example, scheme 1 says "use fields A, B, and E" and scheme 2 says "use fields A, C and D". If you associate three projects with scheme-1 and 6 with scheme-2 then you'll get different field lists on their issues. Cloud will let you create workflows, as long as you are an admin. Are you logged in as an admin?

Suggest an answer